n8ball2013 Posted December 9, 2014 Report Posted December 9, 2014 Took me about 2.5 yrs maybe 3 for my truck THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
ROLEXrifleman Posted December 9, 2014 Report Posted December 9, 2014 dude, you can't compare your skills right now to someone with 25 plus years experience if you got the job at a shop that means someone saw potential in you. Speed comes with time and hands on experience. as an installer focus on doing a good job the first time , there is nothing worse than working on something and then having someone else have to go back and fix your fuck up. That not only takes more time but also costs the shop money in either payroll or heaven forbid damage! take it slow and build your confidence as you go along, next time you work on an impala I bet you'll be faster! Trust me no one started being able to do 15 min deck swaps. take pride in your work, it will tell the story of what kind of installer you are looking after the car has left the shop Rolex you sicken me. Just let me finish my pie ~ Juice
sbg Posted December 9, 2014 Author Report Posted December 9, 2014 dude, you can't compare your skills right now to someone with 25 plus years experience if you got the job at a shop that means someone saw potential in you. Speed comes with time and hands on experience. as an installer focus on doing a good job the first time , there is nothing worse than working on something and then having someone else have to go back and fix your fuck up. That not only takes more time but also costs the shop money in either payroll or heaven forbid damage! take it slow and build your confidence as you go along, next time you work on an impala I bet you'll be faster! Trust me no one started being able to do 15 min deck swaps. take pride in your work, it will tell the story of what kind of installer you are looking after the car has left the shop Thanks man. Helps me feel better. I can Say I'm glad they don't have to go back and fix my stuff. And have told me my installs are clean. I suppose the next time I get a impalla in it will be cake walk.. 01 focus se 110 amp alt Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0 Super start platinum AGM (starting) 2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back Kenwood double DIN DDx271 A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines. Orion xtx 64 in the front doors 2:1 4th order bandpass Sealed off trunk Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck Orion hcca 12s (black coils) Orion xtr3700.1 Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground) Sky high dual 1/0 inputs 2 xs power D3100 in back Sky high batt blocks Rose audio batt blocks Stinger volt meter All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders Db link remote/ rca
Aj11 Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 that job, 4-5 hours. i just hate when one rusted screw or a broken clip takes up 30\60mins of your time! last decent install before winter, Hyundai something, dual 0g run, big 3, dual bats,.sundown sa 2500, some sub with a spl recone, had to load the sub and box, drill holes for wires in box, great stuff, deadner, infinity amp, rear deck, front doors, 3 grounds total for rear frame, I'm.missing something.... ummm.... more deadner, and something else.... oh made a battery tray out of something that was part of his trunk. total time 9 straight hours. that was with me teaching and showing him.every step of the way. with a Lil testing tuning and demo in there. i took $60 off the cost because i cut the shit out of my hand and got blood on his rear seat. he didn't care but i did. the stain did come out. jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
STEvil Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 the blood is how you know its a good install MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..." Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through. Hammerdown... 1% no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.
TRON Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 Depends on how dirty the car is. Last car I worked on I had to clean out the trunk before even thinking about working on it. It was a friend's car so I didn't mind, but I made him buy me more beer. Avalanche Alpine Type S comps Alpine Type S 10'' Alpine MPR-F300 Alpine MRX-M50 Mechamn 270 XS Power d3400s
MrBigs63' Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 All really depends on the vehicle for me. Put four speakers, an amp, and head unit in my buddies Ford the other weekend and it only took me about 3 hours. Last car I worked on was a cavalier, and it took me way to long. For four speakers, custom adapter plates for the back, head unit, all new wires, and sub amp it took me a solid 9 hours. Some cars are just a bitch to take apart. Four hours is not bad at all in my book as long as everything is done correctly.
mothra Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 some of these times are just too funny b/c I know you guys are strictly going off a one off situation on a car you've done a million times and not on this particular car. as a one man ordeal, i call BS on you guys saying less than 4 hours. i have 15 years of experience so it's not like I don't know my way around. I work with guys that say I'm slow but yet I'm faster and more consistent than any of them. I always quote my clients 2 hours for a head unit install knowing that it only takes me 1 hour or less on any vehicle but I quote that for cushion just incase I run into something that would require extra work like trimming a dash or chopping out the guts behind the OEM head unit. even if you've worked on this particular car several times, it still takes time. I would never get anything installed by an installer that quotes fast times even the guys I work with. I see the hack jobs these "speedy" installers do. even the 5 minute oil change places don't even change your oil in 5 minutes. there's a reason why. it's work quality over work speed. I never sacrifice my quality over speed. if nothing changes, nothing changes You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know
Aj11 Posted December 12, 2014 Report Posted December 12, 2014 i can change my deck out in under 5mins. I've pulled it out so many times i could prolly do it blind folded. but your right some cars are awful! for example it took Me almost 5 hours to put a deck in some old ass Toyota something -pos the entire dash had to come out. i mean everything! but it only took 30mins to put a deck in a 02 (or 04 can't remember) Merc compressor. is it just me..... or every time you install something, deck, amp... whateve. right before you put the key in the ignition you think "man i hope it works" I've done hundreds and hundreds of installs over the last 14 Years, and every single time i think that. I've maybe not had 2 work the first time and i still get a Lil anxiety that it won't. Is it just me? jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
sbg Posted December 15, 2014 Author Report Posted December 15, 2014 Kinda funny. The kid that I did the install in his impala killed the sub in one days time. He came back and I got him a new one put in. But had to have a talk with him about not playing with the gain a bass boost. When he came back the amp gain and boost was all the way up. Hu bass all the way up sub level max. Well Tuesday I have a "bigger job) 6 -12s in a tahoe on 3 amps. See how long this takes me.... Prefab box's so shouldn't be to bad. 01 focus se 110 amp alt Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0 Super start platinum AGM (starting) 2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back Kenwood double DIN DDx271 A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines. Orion xtx 64 in the front doors 2:1 4th order bandpass Sealed off trunk Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck Orion hcca 12s (black coils) Orion xtr3700.1 Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground) Sky high dual 1/0 inputs 2 xs power D3100 in back Sky high batt blocks Rose audio batt blocks Stinger volt meter All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders Db link remote/ rca
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.