Sonic Electronix

engine ground to chasis

You are confusing circuit ground, chassis ground, and earth ground. An automobile is isolated from "earth ground" by the rubber tires, but the 12V battery negative terminal is connected to the car chassis forming the "chassis ground". The circuitry in the car is also grounded to the chassis, albeit with some other protection in between, but this has nothing to do with the current flowing from one car to another during a "jump." If anything, this circuitry can be destroyed from spikes in the battery voltage.

"Ground" is just a code word which, in this case, refers to the "current return common" circuit node. There is a complete circuit because everything electrical in the car, such as the starter motor, also connects to ground in order to return current to the minus terminal of the battery through the ground. The car's chassis is used for this return network, and so the entire chassis is an extension of the minus terminal of the battery.

the frame needs the battery to be ground without the battery the frame is not ground. there for the negative on the battery is ground

^ failed.

I'll find a link if info from snafu

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

^ failed.

I'll find a link if info from snafu

Oh you think so?

Do me a favor go unhook the negative battery terminal and tell me how well all your electronics that are connected to that "chassis ground" still function.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

i got this info from snafu

Now, think for a second about where your amps are grounded. Now, think about the return path
between the amps and the alternator - what exactly does that look like? Simple - amp to chassis . . .
chassis to battery negative . . . battery negative to engine block . . . engine block to cylinder head . . .
cylinder head to alternator bracket . . . alternator bracket to alternator. Hey, aren't there gaskets
between the cylinder head and block? Are those stock cables big enough?

Snafu is full of great info. Nice guy, both times I went to his house to pick up stuff I could have stayed and talked car audio tech for hours.

the chassis is gound only after the battery is connected to it.. remove the negative on the battery and touch your power wire to the chassis.. do you get sparks? no. its not grounded to the battery.. the problem is Tony gives you the right information and you guys twist it.. chassis is ground but it needs the battery.. as a matter a fact. dont ground your chassis and ground your engine. i bet you wont have any issues starting the car but good luck running amps that way

the reason you run wires from bat to chassis is because you ground your amps to the chassis. you can get same benefit without using the frame. you will just need lots of wire to get ground from the front battery to the rear amps.. how do you think owners of cars who have no chassis do it?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155754-charging-systems-101-video-on-page-3/

Right here, he proves that the alt case is ground while the car runs.

Not the battery ground..

Its a "return path" it must return where it starts. It starts where voltage is at its highest.

A battery rests at 12.2-13.1 pending battery quality and type.

An alt charges above that. Meaning the power source is the alt and it "returns" to the starting point.

The chassis or frame is never ground. Its just the path it uses to get to ground.

This could be through a neg run, the chasis, a direct neg run to the alt or through the battery ground to a alt ground wire to the alt. It will use the path of least resistance. As we all know.

Oh and power actually travels from negative to positive.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

well no shit the alternator case is the ground.. the argument here is the chassis. the chassis is not ground until the battery or alternator is wired directly to it.. you can build and wire your car without even using the chassis.. it will take lots of wire and not cost efficient so the chassis is used as a bridge/shortcut

I see no one here mention the chassis as ground. Just the battery and alt.

I see the chassis mentioned Sa return path.

Maybe I missed something.

Fyi

The chassis is not ground even when the alt or battery is connected. It's just a path never a ground.

Point being

With an alternator that can fully supply the electrical needs of your vehicle and it's "extras" then its is ground. If voltage across enough for the battery to pitch in then the battery neg post becomes ground.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

well no shit the alternator case is the ground.. the argument here is the chassis. the chassis is not ground until the battery or alternator is wired directly to it.. you can build and wire your car without even using the chassis.. it will take lots of wire and not cost efficient so the chassis is used as a bridge/shortcut

You said battery negative is ground, and I said no it isn't.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/171708-fact-and-science-have-no-place-in-car-audio/

Archived