oil filters keeping that engine oil clean

Well short-story long. I got bored and started looking around. Learned a good tid bit. I am wanting more information on oil filters i understand there is a low end of filtration and a high end. i want clean specified results in this thread please something some average person can come in and read. Also maybe something more technical. From what i have read on one other thread from nearly 5 years ago ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/65710-beware-of-fram-filters/ ), on this site, really opened my eyes on fram. I understood they were low end but wow that is terrible quality for the price. So, what i am looking for is a low price quality filter that people can go to, and a high end quality for motor heads that take pride in taking care of their vehicle.

High End/Higher Priced Oil Filter

Lower Priced Quality Oil Filter

maybe you have some hands on experience you would like to share go ahead just remember i prefer to keep it clean

Parts of an oil filter

oil_filter_exploded_view_zps3baadd4a.jpg

parts shown for some to have a little more understanding what most oil filter are composed of.

the spring in some filters may be replaced with a spring clip

not all filters have an anti-drain back seal, which helps engines a lot by reducing dry starts

each flap of media is called a pleat

maybe you have done your own autopsy of a filter to see how many pleats, any contamination, or construction of your own oil filter please share

if you want you can go to youtube and look up "oil filter tear down" or "oil filter tear down". you should get plenty of results to see what may possibly be your filter

really hoping to get this stickied as a good thread for info

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

All I know, on my basically 20 year old truck, I have used the bottom-est line filter you can use, and the top of the line, and results are still the same. I change it every 3500mi, 240k on the clock, and oil comes out amber brown every time.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

All I know, on my basically 20 year old truck, I have used the bottom-est line filter you can use, and the top of the line, and results are still the same. I change it every 3500mi, 240k on the clock, and oil comes out amber brown every time.

lowest line filter as in price?

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

• 2 weeks later...

Myself have always been a fan of Baldwin oil filters. But with my current cream puff of a ride, I really am not too picky on the brand that I put on there, nor do I go and buy the fancy model of a certain brand. Fram is one of the worst out there though. Last time I was in Walmart grabbing some oil "conventional" and a filter I bought an AC Delco filter which looked like a better build quality than the others that fit my GM 3.8L motor. Especially could tell by the stamping of the top and the rubber sealing ring.

97 Buick LeSabre with stock 140 amp alternator

XS Power D3400 (under the hood) using pdb distro blocks

Big 3 done with 2/0 ga welding cable

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit

CT Sounds Meso 6.5" components

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Sky High 1/0 ga & 4 ga cable (plus fuse holders)

Connection BT2 & BT4 550 (Audison) RCA's

Bunch of Mojo Mat

Oh and if you use conventional oil "not synthetic" don't be scammed by some models of oil filters that say that they are good for 4500- 6000 miles because your conventional oil will be broken down and have lost a lot of its lubricating properties by then.

97 Buick LeSabre with stock 140 amp alternator

XS Power D3400 (under the hood) using pdb distro blocks

Big 3 done with 2/0 ga welding cable

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit

CT Sounds Meso 6.5" components

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Sky High 1/0 ga & 4 ga cable (plus fuse holders)

Connection BT2 & BT4 550 (Audison) RCA's

Bunch of Mojo Mat

Oil change interval is really more important than the filter you use.

I've used the cheapest of the cheap and some of the most expensive I can find locally and I don't see any difference in the oil.

that being said I buy ac delco, motorcraft, or mopar filters because I get a deal on them and if they are good enough for the people that design the engines they are good enough for me.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• 1 month later...

I don't care what oil and oil filter manufacturer's say I've worked in oilchange shops and my brother has ran one for 10+ years oil doesn't last 10 or 15k and neither do the filters.

I change every 3k no matter what even in the vehicles I've had that I ran Mobil one and and a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Biggest thing people ignore is that 3k is stll the severe service recommendation no matter what you use and most people's cars would qualify under severe use.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived