sound difference

BassMunky

there was a spl van with like a hundred 6x9's (cant find the vid :unknw: )

OP- it's all install dependent... you could make a $1000 set of speakers sound like shit if install is crap-

If it's all install dependent can I make a $20 set of speakers sound amazing?

A lot of home Hi-Fi builds use speakers around $20-$40 a piece.

He's right. What sucks is that everything in car audio is "packaged". In home audio you can buy a dayton woofer and a Vifa tweeter. Or a Goldwood woofer and a dayton tweeter. It's endless. OP in my experience anything far above let's say....$200 a little thing called diminishing returns starts to hit pretty hard.

An audiophile could tell a difference, but they tend to be like a dog chasing it's tail in pursuit of audio xanadu. lol

Agreed. As a general rule it gets harder and harder to hear any noticeable difference. The high end of your average company(Rockford Fosgate. Infinity etc.) is usually good enough for most...and for some...even better than they care to have.

Go listen to some on a display board and hear for yourself. Some product lines will have massive sound differences, others not as much. I've sold many, many brands over the years and some will be smoother, less peaky, and more defined. Others will simply handle a ton more power and still sound good at louder volumes. Depends on the design goals of that brand.

FWIW there are a lot of people using Dayton/Vifa/Peerless/Goldwood drivers in vehicles and if you care to take the time to find compatible drivers and tune them properly they can work very well. I continue to run old a/d/s/ 336is sets in my two vehicles and a JL C5 set in my wife's. So apparently the $600 price point happens to be our sweet spot on the price vs. performance scale.

Static drops are my bag.

Very nice man. Id love to hear some of those some day. Would also like to hear some home audio in a car. Bet it would be sweet. Wonder how it would stack up against subs in a high SPL environment.

Most of those you will find in more of a audiophile, high fidelity, or sound quality setup.

You would be wasting your money to put high fidelity stuff like this in a so called "bass" setup when all they are designed for is hair tricks anyways ....

No real dynamics in your average bass setup nowadays ...

Sorry to say, but true ... At least in my neck of the woods.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

what brand you suggest for around 300 just for mids? 6.5 looking for something daily that can handle 100 rms each side daily and sound loud clear. active

dd AW 6.5 (germans) new or used, Hertz 165xl if you can find just woofers or used set. aa carbon mids were dope, dont know the name of them. most rockford t series sound good. but those i dont think you can buy seperate. at the end of the day its all opinion.

a nice 3 way with a 6.5 or 8 woofer , 3 inch mid and a 28mm tweet will sound good and get fairly loud if needed.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Archived