Second Skin Audio

How Do You Know What Type of an Enclosure A Sub Will Like?

Or better yet, how do you know what type of sub an enclosure will like? Like say you have a certain amount of airspace, and you know you want a certain type of enclosure and to play a certain bandwidth well. You know the power you will be running etc. How does a non biased person chose the subs best suited to their situation beyond the quantity and size? Can T/S params lead you there?

Is there any good free reading out there that can teach me this?

Edited to better reflect the intent of my question.

Contact the manufacturer and discuss information and experiences with them is what I would do.

Wrong answer most of the time. The manufacturer will always give you a safe or base-line recommendation.

You need to know all the parameters of the sub and learn how to apply those numbers to a enclosure.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Loudspeaker design cookbook by Vance Dickason.

And modeling is the only way to really know.

Obviously to know for what type of enclosure it likes, you just calculate the EPB (Fs/Qes) anything over 100 is for ported enclosures, anything under 40 is for sealed enclosures.(and anything in between, you can choose)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Loudspeaker design cookbook by Vance Dickason.

And modeling is the only way to really know.

Obviously to know for what type of enclosure it likes, you just calculate the EPB (Fs/Qes) anything over 100 is for ported enclosures, anything under 40 is for sealed enclosures.(and anything in between, you can choose)

As mentioned, I am looking for some free reading to do. Do you know of anywhere I can find this book for free?

The pdf is easy to find if you do a little googling.

2008 Subaru WRX STI

K&N Typhoon Intake

Invidia Polished Stainless 3" turbo back with cat

Cobb Accessport

Dyno tune from Kaizen Tuning

320awhp 330ft-lb awtq

MTX 421D Sub amp

American Bass SQ900 Highs/Mids amp

Sundown Audio SD-2 10 D4

JL Audio XR653-CS 3-way Components

3sixty.2

Second Skin Damplifier Pro

Custom fiberglass wheel well enclosure

Transmission Line quasi-floor enclosure

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/forum/13-member-rides-builds-show-off-your-whip-show-off-your-system/

Bill Fitzmaurice TLAH line-array hifi towers

9 Goldwood 4" mids (each)

12 Goldwood 1/2" tweeters (each)

NAD 1020 Preamp

MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced processor

Thorens TD166mkII Turntable

Hafler DH-200 Amplifier

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192638-line-array-hifi-tower-build/

https://www.facebook.com/HolyMountainGlass

You take the Qes and divid it into the Fs of a driver. Depending on the number you get will show what enclosure is ideal for that individual speaker. 0-50, Sealed is highly preferred. 50-100, The speaker will work well in both ported and sealed. If it's 100+, then it is highly preferred to use a ported enclosure.

Credit to user RooTxBeeR

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

BAM

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_l73GVBBlIUNTc2YTc2YTktNTNmYi00YWNmLTlmY2ItZTU0MTRhMzdkYTAy/edit?pli=1

Edit: Although what Mustang posted best helps figure out what enclosure to start with. I am still interested in what if any T/S parameters determine how much volume will be required. Like let's say 2 speakers have entirely identical T/S specs, except 1 parameter. Could that 1 make one speaker over the other require more, or less air space? And the same for port area. I remember seeing something about how bl and xmax are directly related to the amount of air space required. Just never fully looked into that.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm