Why don't people use water cooling for amps?

How hot do you think some of the hottest amps get anyways? Temperature wise.

Old A/B amps hot as hell, I'd guess about 150ish on the heat sink.

I ask because the highest clear flexible tubing I am finding can withstand temps of 500 degrees F.

Go up.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I ask because the highest clear flexible tubing I am finding can withstand temps of 500 degrees F.

If your amps got to 500°f you'd have no amps anymore.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Ive seen eggs cooked on them. Every amp I've ever ran has never been past warm.

Do you think it would ever be greater than 500 degrees?

Don't know, i just seen a video one day of an amp test, got so hot it cooked an egg. I'm sure others here have seen it also.

I guess the minimum temp to cook an egg is 130degrees F at 20 min for complete cooking. So the amps can prolly get a little hotter than that...

http://www.livescience.com/37860-hot-enough-to-fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk-this-weekend.html

Don't know, i just seen a video one day of an amp test, got so hot it cooked an egg. I'm sure others here have seen it also.

the amp lab on one of his vids on youtube did that I was that is hot as hell with the egg on it

I have seen an oil cooling system run on a pc.

Just a constant slow circulation of oil with all circuitry immersed in it.

I imagine that would probably be the easiest to do as you could build the enclosure for your amps to be as tough as nails, throw a bit of plexi in there and it would look pretty damn cool and be functional and keep corrosion away.

Edit:a3_V4.jpg

If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute.

Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th

ive seen 310 at the dust cap... Read with a laser temp probe...

511 is (i was told) is UNWIND territory on the coil i run.....

Thermal typically isn't THAT much of an issue. Much easier to aim a few fans with it than it is to fuss with water pump, radiators, temp control, bleeding the system, needing to worry about coolant/corrosion. Plus it's in a vehicle, you'd want to add some sort of ethylene glycol to it so it won't freeze, but you want something without dye or anything else since that'll build up so it needs to be lab grade clear. Plus the issue of antimicrobial treatments. And if you spring a leak it makes a royal mess. Risk of short circuit depending on what contaminants are present, and it'll kill your box if it leaks onto it.

If the coolant runs low you will burn out your pump. If it's designed to be liquid cooled, that is no other heat sinks, and it has no coolant... Do the math hah.

While I'm sure you could pretty easily mod an existing amp to accept water cooling if you're doing a custom install of some sort, it's not for the average customer.

Archived