Sundown Audio

Amplifier turning off and on with gain at minimum

ModestDb

So a few nights ago while cruising around town in my Camry and playing some music, my amp suddenly shut off. It turned back on almost immediately but made my sub "thump" one time and then turned back off again. It repeated this until I could pull over and disconnect power. (Thump...pause...thump...pause). I discovered when unhooking, that my Memphis Mojo was standing straight up and holding its position until the power shut back off, whenever this thump occurred. I later hooked it back up just to see if anything changed but as soon as remote power turned on, the amp continued to do the same thing.

Here are the details I know of, to give.

*Amp is a Soundstream Lil Wonder 2600.1D

*Voltage was at 13.5 at the time it shut off

*Gain set with DMM and then turned down to a conservative setting (almost 1/4 turn)

*Bass boost turned to zero

*LPF at 80z

*SSF at 24hz (both filters set according to the box tune)

*Phase is set to 0 NOT 180

*Input sensitivity is set to .1-2V NOT 2-8v

*It never made any funny smells

*The protection light IS coming on when the power down happens.

*No fuses blown

*Disconnected and reconnected all power/ground/remote sources just to be sure

I opened the amp up in my kitchen and checked for any burned spots, or loose components. None to report of.

I installed the amp back into the car (sub unhooked) with the cover off and plugged it back up. This time the power came on and stayed on. I hooked the sub back up and played some music with it for 20 minutes without issue. I installed the covers and put the amp back in the car. It started doing the on/off/on/off thing again. I then flipped the amp upside down and the power stayed on. WTF? Something must be loose. I turned it back to right side up and the protection light turned on. I touched each of the control knobs and wiggled them for the hell of it. When I touched the bass knob port (which I don't run a knob), the protection light turned off and the power came on just fine. Maybe coincidence because no matter how I touched or pushed the bass knob port after that, I couldn't get the protection light to come back on. So for the last week, I left it unhooked because I didn't want to start a fire. This weekend, when I had more time I hooked everything back up and set gain to minimum. Protection light is on, power on/off/on/off again. Crap.

Should I have it fixed or just scrap it and buy something else? Or has anyone else had this issue before and can shed some light on what to do next?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Certainly sounds as if something is lose.

As for getting it fixed that would depend on if it's worth it you you to fix and how much the repair bill will be, me personally I'd get something new.

is the amp attached to the enclosure?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Had an amp with a weak solder joint do this....I would mount it right side up and it would protect....Flipped it over and hooked it up it would be fine. Sent it to repair and they couldn't find the issue....Ended up repairing it myself. I'd take it back out and look around a little deeper; may find something that looks weak/unstable.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Certainly sounds as if something is lose.

As for getting it fixed that would depend on if it's worth it you you to fix and how much the repair bill will be, me personally I'd get something new.

is the amp attached to the enclosure?

No it's not attached to the enclosure. I dunno if I'm willing to pay much to fix it. I guess I could send it in to get an estimate.

does it stay on with the subs unhooked from the amp when it's installed in the car? have you check the impedace the amp is seeing?

No it still cuts on and off without the speaker hooked up or even with the RCA wires disconnected.

The load being seen is 1.1 ohms with my fluke meter.

weird, inline fuses and connections okay? earth hasn't rattled loose? (might be an issue with the amp then)

everything is tight as hell. I swapped the amp into my volvo and it does the same thing.

Archived