Black Beauty Project Build - 06 Ford F-250 Super Duty **1/27/18 - New pics starting on page 41**

Next I added another round of Rage Extreme. This filled up to the edge of the tape.

20160227_202259.jpg

After some sanding, marked up some more little spots for some filling.

20160227_210442.jpg

20160227_210449.jpg

20160227_210455.jpg

Then spot filled some more.

20160227_210459.jpg

And sanded some more.

20160227_215429.jpg

Again, when through some 100, 150, and 220 grit paper to get a nice finish thus far.

20160227_215502.jpg

Then I laid on one last coat of primer for the evening. This was sealer primer, not filler. I need to get more of both today.

20160227_220016.jpg

20160227_220021.jpg

20160227_220034.jpg

20160227_220056.jpg

That's where I did call it an evening. There are a few spots to touch up, but for the most part, I'm extremely happy with where it sits. I need to do a little touch up spot filling, then it's onto the part of getting that connector installed. Then some wetsanding, etc.

I'll see what I can get done today.

looks great man. keep up the great work. Tuned to see how it all turns out.

this is going to be such a badass powerstroke dash

Thanks guys, it means a lot.

I did manage to get a couple things done before I left for my daughter's soccer game this morning. Not much, but something.

First I peeled the foam tape from around the edge.

20160228_111005_1.jpg

20160228_111600.jpg

Put the tablet in place to check it out.

20160228_111845.jpg

20160228_111856.jpg

20160228_111905.jpg

20160228_111912.jpg

Then I marked the few spots I felt needed some love.

20160228_112420_1.jpg

Now I'm off to home depot to get some supplies to hopefully get this thing finished!

More later!!

that looks great! is rage extreme really much lighter than rage gold? Ive only used gold and its a world of a difference than 3m's bondo.

I love that Rustoleum filler primer. always have some on hand

that looks great! is rage extreme really much lighter than rage gold? Ive only used gold and its a world of a difference than 3m's bondo.

I love that Rustoleum filler primer. always have some on hand

I think so. It sands lighter. Just has a different feel to it, in my opinion. Fills cracks, lines, pinholes, a bit better. I can smooth it out with my finger instead of a spreader when I need to and when I try to do that with gold, it's just thicker and seems harder to work like that.

I think anything is better than bondo anyway, lol.

Yeah it's good stuff, I stocked up a bit. I'm sure not enough, but i'll get more if I need it.

Scott, looks killer as always.

Reading through your novel there a few pages back seems like you have just a little bit of work to do.

Look into flocking for your doors if you are scared to paint also

Yeah, just a little bit. LOL That's ok it'll be worth it when I'm done with it, you know, NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

I have done flocking before, I did it in the civic trunk amp rack, and the sub enclosure.

It's not that I'm afraid to paint, I'm just not sure my mind will allow me to deal with it if it's not perfect. And I don't want some shiny bullshit either. I hate that look. Just my personal opinion, but it drives me crazy. I want a duller, leathery type finish. I'll probably just pick up some SEM color match paint and finish them that way. Or I'll pay my buddy to paint them for me, he owns a shop.

That actually brings me to another dilemma I'm trying to deal with. I actually, and I may be one of only a few, like the subtleness of the Ford Lariat Woodgrain features. I have it on my current dash, and the doors have a top on them that has it. I think that's all that's in the truck. Oh no the center console, but that's going away. Anyway, I'm set up now to paint the new dash black, but I would love to figure out how to get it back to the OEM Woodgrain look. I don't know why, I just like the thoughts of it. I've been looking and looking and looking and I can't find much on it other than the plastic press on crap.

So I'll just stay black for now. Maybe it's not a dilemma, just more of a want than a dilemma.

Ok give me a few minutes I have more pics to throw up here.

Ok let's get back to it. I think some pictures didn't get uploaded. Have I mentioned my hatred for Photobucket yet?

So, I've gotten the tablet surround where I pretty much want it. I have some spots that will need more addressing, but that's the nature of this stage isn't it? Now it's time, before i go any further, to get the connector installed. I almost forgot about this. It would've sucked to get it all done and then remember it and then something happen, like drill through the front or something. Whew that gives me shivers just thinking about it.

First, I went to Depot for some paint supplies. Filler Primer, Sealer Primer in two colors, and then some semi gloss and flat black. Oh and two different kinds of clear.

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

Also picked up some new scissors and snips, and some crimpers too that I forgot to put in there.

IMG_3874.jpg

So now with the toys out of the way, let's get started. First I started with some sheet metal I had laying around and marking out the size of the opening.

IMG_3875.jpg

Then cut that out and trimmed it to fit.

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

After that I did some testing. Recall I said I wasn't sure if I wanted to do suede or if I wanted to just do the metal. Well, I'm still undecided, so I decided to use something that would be as thick or thicker than suede. I had some fleece laying around. So I tested it with the magnets I'm going to be using. Obviously the metal on magnet is the strongest, but I'm concerned its too strong. The magnet on the fleece is actually pretty good. I'll need to pick up some suede today and see what that's like. I may choose to do that instead. If I can wrap it up the sides, I may not need magnets. SO I'll figure that out today.

IMG_3880.jpg

Either way, this metal needs to be painted. It also needs to be attached to the pocket. SO I sanded both sides.

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

Got the panel sanded down with some 220 grit one last time before I use the filler primer again. This was when I figured out that this was the best time to do the connector. And really, it's the best time to do it all, so then everything gets primed at the same time. So I'll probably get the metal epoxied in next and get that worked so that I can prime that with everything else.

IMG_3883.jpg

On the topic of Bondo (saw it up a couple posts but I'm not taking the time to quote it all fancy, bite me) they actually have a Bondo Gold professional that is pretty comparable to the rage gold. Sands nice and easy, doesn't pinhole. Costs just a tiny bit less that the rage but you can find it at home depot or walmart, so it's great in a pinch. Or at all honestly I've been using it a lot lately. Just don't put it on too thick and sanding will be a breeze.

Next it was time to work on the connector. I put some tape on my tablet to mark where the connector was at, then I could transfer it to the surround after the tablet was in place and centered.

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

Centered in the pocket.

IMG_3887.jpg

Don't hate on my shims!! LOL

IMG_3888.jpg

Now that it was centered I was able to mark out on the pocket where the hole should go.

IMG_3889.jpg

I contemplated different ways to do the hole. I decided to go with the forstner bit. 1/4" to start.

IMG_3891.jpg

Then drilled two holes to make the width of the connector hole.

IMG_3892.jpg

Of course, when the holes were drilled, it's right next to one of the screw mounts for the Vent that I am keeping. So I had to think a little about this one.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

I decided that since I needed to basically go straight down, I could use another forstner bit. This time I did a 1/2" bit. This will allow me to get the majority of it out, and then I can fine tune it with the dremel and some kind of grinder wheel.

IMG_3895.jpg

Archived