Second Skin Audio

L port vs J port

So this may be a stupid question, but doing a J shaped port as opposed to an L shaped port had never occurred to me. Is there any difference in using one or the other? Perhaps the J port has the benefit of being fastened to the outer wall to provide stronger bracing than the "free floating" extension of an L port that only fastens to the top and bottom. Maybe the only benefit to one or the other is the ability to locate the sub further from the port opening?

Found these pictures of Joe X's boxes...

Lport_zps8grn2rkv.jpg

Jport_zps5dcba1q2.jpg

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Q Logic Kickpanels - lame 5.25 components for now

Planning/acquiring everything else

I would use the L shaped port when possible. A 90 corner is going to cause less air resistance than a 180 degree corner. The only time I use 180 degree corners is when I really have no other choice.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Makes sense, I guess in that particular design maybe it was just an issue with proximity to the woofer that warranted the 180 degree turn.

2008 Denali

Singer 270

2 XS D3400s under hood

Sundown SCV-6000D

SHCA 1/0

Q Logic Kickpanels - lame 5.25 components for now

Planning/acquiring everything else

port velocity changes when adding bends, it lowers it's speed with every bend.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

So this may be a stupid question, but doing a J shaped port as opposed to an L shaped port had never occurred to me. Is there any difference in using one or the other? Perhaps the J port has the benefit of being fastened to the outer wall to provide stronger bracing than the "free floating" extension of an L port that only fastens to the top and bottom. Maybe the only benefit to one or the other is the ability to locate the sub further from the port opening?

Found these pictures of Joe X's boxes...

Lport_zps8grn2rkv.jpg

Jport_zps5dcba1q2.jpg

The port style on the second box you can use if you need a box to be wide rather than deep or to keep out the inner end of the port away from the sub.

There is only one true way to test this, build both and term lab it, well the output shouldnt be the only criteria. If you had a program like linear x's lms you could get qan idea of the frequency response of the box and use the tl for output testing.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived