Second Skin Audio

Can rise be controlled

Smoove

Can rise be controlled more in a sealed box or ported box?

You can easily control where your impedance drops in a ported box by setting tuning. Box size changes an impedance curve both in sealed and ported boxes. So both types give you control but the ported one gives you an extra way to do it.

Like others have said, making the box larger will increase the impedance and making it smaller will decrease it. Impedance is tied to efficiency. As impedance increase so does the box efficiency, you get more output on less watts. Trying to lower impedance through different box design is actually counter-productive and will decrease output, generally speaking.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So sealed box isn't more efficient. It can still be to big and allow for more rise. Does polyfill in a sealed box have the same effect?
Thanks.

Stuffing a sealed box lower the QTC, just like making it bigger does. But it also lowers the impedance and efficiency, unlike making the box bigger.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Unless you only intend to play 1 frequency ever you really do not need to worry about your impedance curve.

Assuming you're doing DB Drag and have a one note build you should head on over to parts express and buy Dayton DATS to run impedance sweeps (if you care) and/or buy a good quality DMM and current clamp meter. From there it's probably going to be easier/cheaper to change coils, or change amps to get the correct impedance than to keep building boxes.

Unless you only intend to play 1 frequency ever you really do not need to worry about your impedance curve.

Assuming you're doing DB Drag and have a one note build you should head on over to parts express and buy Dayton DATS to run impedance sweeps (if you care) and/or buy a good quality DMM and current clamp meter. From there it's probably going to be easier/cheaper to change coils, or change amps to get the correct impedance than to keep building boxes.

I know I'll never get rid if rise. It gonna be there no matter what. I'm getting ready to build a sealed box. I am debating on size of rhe box and the amp. If I can make the sealed see less rise when burping for fun than I will get a non-CP amp. otherwise I will find a CP amp worry less.

Archived