First attempt at under dash horns!

Deeznutz

I would love to go HLCD, but I have too much invested in my dash to switch to hlcd. Besides ... I LOVE my 5.25" setup in the truck. I'm (like many others here) stuck on what to do for midbass. So this thread has me thinking ...

I have a pair of full range 10s that I want to use for midbass.

I'm thinking about going seriously old school and put them in the rear corners of the truck (just like they did in the Grand National) and see what happens.

Got PLENTY of room there. I have plenty of time alignment to play with ....

Thoughts ??

OP, I will remove this post if you think it is thread jacking.

I'm on my shitty phone having trouble starting my own thread.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Tuned in!

Awesome to see a horn project. :good:

Sweet Bimmer :drinks:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Thanks guys!

White Lightning, no reason to remove your post. This is an open forum, and if this thread helps you decide if you want to get a set than that's a good thing! You bring up an excellent point- midbass. Eric and I had a great conversation about your question. He suggested a very strong midbass driver to match these horns. I told him I had the I.D. CX S62 (in the Camaro) that I could use. Funny how you could hear the hesitation in his voice when he responded about the CX S62's. lol. He said they were good, but recommended another midbass driver. I think he recommended his older I.D. 6.5 driver. There's a guy on Ebay selling the full bodies with midbass and crossover network for $429. But man, Xmas is right around the corner. I'll ask him again on what he recommends and let you know.

Now am I missing something about midbass? In the Jimmy, I was able to go down to the lowest crossover setting of 85Hz for high pass. I get a nice amount of midbass, especially since I eq'ed it.

In the Bimmer, the Alpine has a crappy eq to work with. The system sounds great for bass music since the ski port acts like a 4th order bandpass. But rock sounds like ass because I can't get the guitar riffs to sound right.

In the Jimmy, rock is what sounds awesome because of how I use the eq- I'm assuming. Now, I definitely have to deaden the doors! The guitar sound is "sharp" is the best way to put it. Guitars live in the range from 60-something all the way up to 1K- midbass is smack dap in that range. How much more midbass do I really need? Am I cutting myself short on midbass?

Like, I said, you brought up a good topic!

-Frank

Thanks guys!

White Lightning, no reason to remove your post. This is an open forum, and if this thread helps you decide if you want to get a set than that's a good thing! You bring up an excellent point- midbass. Eric and I had a great conversation about your question. He suggested a very strong midbass driver to match these horns. I told him I had the I.D. CX S62 (in the Camaro) that I could use. Funny how you could hear the hesitation in his voice when he responded about the CX S62's. lol. He said they were good, but recommended another midbass driver. I think he recommended his older I.D. 6.5 driver. There's a guy on Ebay selling the full bodies with midbass and crossover network for $429. But man, Xmas is right around the corner. I'll act him again on what he recommends and let you know.

Now am I missing something about midbass? In the Jimmy, I was able to go down to the lowest crossover setting of 85Hz for high pass. I get a nice amount of midbass, especially since I eq'ed it. In the Bimmer, the Alpine has a crappy e

Im going to be porting my Beyma 8's to get a nice response down to 60 hz or so. I have about a cube of space to build an enclosure in the bottom of my door. Cone Area and Xmax are a huge factor in mid bass

I also recommend trying a silver flute 6.5 and Eric will as well. So cheap you won't even regret not trying them out.

Carnines, yeah I did look at them a few wks ago. To Nasty also commented on them as well.

-Frank

Could do a 3 way that I want to try one day.. Ported mid bass enclosure under seat playing however low you want to 300 hz.. midrange in kick and horns

I honestly didnt care for my Silverflute 6.5"s, otherwise I would be running their 8" driver with horns.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Nice work. Cool thread. :good:

I brought up a "horn" thread years ago. Only people that even cared was old Ray (Ray West) and Bill. But, they where to damn smart for me to follow lol.

I just clicked the "follow" button. Stay on it man. :hi:

Archived