Decent towing rig ideas? Need a truck

I am going to be movint to New Mexico in the next few months from NC and need to find a good truck that can tow two vehicles on a 5th wheel or goose neck.

I am leaning towards an F350. Mainly because I see them being used out here to haul all kinds of giant (I know)loads.

any suggestions? I would prefer first hand experience.

F-350 dually :good: Also if you need to put some stuff in the cab or a few extra people, there is a ton of room in the back. Definitely more than any of the GM HD trucks.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

after ford finally ditched that six point blow it is again a worthy truck, but really anything other than the cummins is a winner

even their 6.4 is poo...

all 3 brand will do it.

and all 3 will do it differntly.

go drive one, see if you like it.

im a cummins guy myself.

i own one, have had about 18k pounds gross, i had 0 issues doing 90mph when i needed too.

my brother owns a 12v ram 3500.. we did a 13hr trip, loaded about 18k pounds again ( purple truck on a trailer ) threw mountains, set cruise at 65-70, only time we stopped was for fuel.. twice

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

See if you can rent a truck from PENSKE ???

Unless you just in the market of buying a truck ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

after ford finally ditched that six point blow it is again a worthy truck, but really anything other than the cummins is a winner

Take this L for that comment lol

Cummins is probably the best engine out there

And I hate dodge, I'm a Chevy guy

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

I'd rock a 6.0 again, not a thing to worry with them if you can get maintenance records pulled up on them. Head gaskets generally let go at 100-150k miles, and oil cooler seals were notorious about letting go around the same time, especially if they got ran real hot. If you can find one that is bulletproofed, per say, you will be fine... Headstuds(aren't really needed but good to have), new OEM Ford headgaskets, and new oil cooler seals, and you should be fine for a daily driver/tow rig. But here's some more great info on 6.0's... http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1206tr-6-0-power-stroke-bulletproofing-tactics/

I've had two, and loved both of them. Want another, and now is the time to buy one since the oil market is so low. Last one I bought, was a crew cab short bed 4wd, for $1800. Needed about $2200 of work. That was new oil cooler seals, an EGR blockoff kit, and a set of tires. Had about 140k miles on that motor, and 265k on the truck including the trans. Sold the bitch for $10k at that.

Stay away from the 6.4's. Fuck those, just as many problems as 6.0's just a lot more expensive to repair.

If you want to drop some serious coin, just go buy a newer 6.7 PowerStroke. Bad mother fuckers, and extremely efficient, and quieter than most gas rigs around. Going as far as you are, would definitely look into purchasing a DRW truck. Could you tow a 40ft GN with an F250? Yes, I would do it, but not 3/4 of the way across the country.

Tugging a 35ft triple axle gooseneck with a base weight of around 7,000lbs, with two 4,000lb cars on it, well fuck that's 15,000 pounds. Say you are rocking a 2005 F250 6.0l 4x4 Crew Cab short bed, really popular config. Has a GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating) of 10,000lbs. Means the truck and everything on it is not to exceed 10,000lbs. You have a GCWR(gross combined weight rating) of 23,000lbs. Meaning the truck and trailer cannot exceed 23,000lbs. According to the Ford Chart, which I will link below, when properly optioned, a 2005 F250 4x4 Crew Cab could 5th wheel/Gooseneck tow a trailer of 15,400lbs. Bumping up to an F350 DRW puts you two a 23,500 GCWR, with a 5th wheel/GN towing capacity of 15,600lbs.

Sure that 200lbs doesn't seem like a lot, but the way that a dual rear wheel truck, with that longer wheelbase and beefier braking system, will handle that load, is almost night and day difference. If it was a 500 mile trip, I wouldn't have any problem with the F250 doing it. Since it is a lot longer than 500 mile trip, the F350 dual rear wheel would be the way to go to, in terms of safety and peace of mind.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2005_Towing_Guide.pdf

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

even their 6.4 is poo...

all 3 brand will do it.

and all 3 will do it differntly.

go drive one, see if you like it.

im a cummins guy myself.

i own one, have had about 18k pounds gross, i had 0 issues doing 90mph when i needed too.

my brother owns a 12v ram 3500.. we did a 13hr trip, loaded about 18k pounds again ( purple truck on a trailer ) threw mountains, set cruise at 65-70, only time we stopped was for fuel.. twice

I totally forgot about the 6.4L

Archived