.5 amp load question

so basically i would be better off running the sub at 2 ohms than to run it at .5 with the gain turned down to get the 1 ohm power/strain because the amp will be more efficient at 2 ohms with the gains set right?

I was just hoping to get the same power/strain wiring to .5 as wiring to 1ohm so i wont be killing the amplifier or under powering it at 2 ohms. what i was planning on doing was wiring to .5 and adjusting the gain until i dont drop below 12 volts because right now at 1 ohm i don't drop below 12 volts.

i just feel at 2 ohms i wont be getting enough power but if it will save my gear i will have to do it. What do you guys think about the adjusting gains til i don't drop below 12v at.5 ohms idea.

:shrug: Just do it. I'm with tboorn, if you intend to recone it anyways to D2, then wire it and give it everything that amp can cleanly at .5 till the sub blows. Or just find a second one....

so basically i would be better off running the sub at 2 ohms than to run it at .5 with the gain turned down to get the 1 ohm power/strain because the amp will be more efficient at 2 ohms with the gains set right?

I was just hoping to get the same power/strain wiring to .5 as wiring to 1ohm so i wont be killing the amplifier or under powering it at 2 ohms. what i was planning on doing was wiring to .5 and adjusting the gain until i dont drop below 12 volts because right now at 1 ohm i don't drop below 12 volts.

i just feel at 2 ohms i wont be getting enough power but if it will save my gear i will have to do it. What do you guys think about the adjusting gains til i don't drop below 12v at.5 ohms idea.

Your electrical is droping below 12 volts ? Sounds like u need to do some electrical upgrades..... what size alt and battery(s) do u have ? Have u done the big three upgrade yet ?

Just make sure your amp is .5ohm stable and you will be FINE! Everything I run is at .5ohm... Set gain correctly and you will be fine

I agree with you, OP hasnt posted what kinda amp it is or if its designed to go down to half an ohm.....

it is not a power strain it has to do with the amplifier almost seeing a dead short, you could not play the sub and have the amp wired at .5 and it stresses the amp

it is not a power strain it has to do with the amplifier almost seeing a dead short, you could not play the sub and have the amp wired at .5 and it stresses the amp

If the amp is designed to run at .5 it will play but the poster never stated what amp he has or if is .5 ohm stable. And his theory of "what i was planning on doing was wiring to .5 and adjusting the gain until i dont drop below 12 volts because right now at 1 ohm i don't drop below 12 volts" is off. Thats not a correct way to wire and adjust an amp.... i wish he would chime in and give more feed back, i bet people would give him correct wiring and power requirments for what he is trying to do. U should never drop below 12v if u are you need to upgrade the electrical, he needs to include what his electrical system is equiped with and go from there.....

Archived