Midbass- Should you let your mids play low if they can? (crossover question)

aculous

I am looking at new mids, looking at 8" Beymas or Ciare but that have smaller magnets and depth since my current 8"s have a 7" magnet and weigh 7+lbs...

My questions are:

Is it a bad idea to let your mids play into the lower bass spectrum if they can undistorted?

My mids roll-off at 30-40hz but normally I would crossover to my subs at say around 100-150 hz, is it a bad idea to allow my midbass and subs to reproduce the same frequencies? Would there be cancellation issues?

The less "range" each driver type has to play, the better they will sound, is my philosophy. Especially on the bottom end. I guess it would depend on your ear, but I don't see the reason if you have dedicated subs/

For me: subs lpf at 50-60hz, woofers 60(maybe a tad higher)-300hz, etc.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

The lower you can play up front the better it is for imaging. Ideally we would run our subs up front, but there is no room. You want it to sound like you are in a crowd and the band is on stage in front of you.

As long as there is no distortion, I say play as low as you can go. If you cross your sub too high you will be able to hear it is behind you. To remedy that and not be able to pinpoint it you lower the crossover.

Bass up front is good.

if you can play it to your listening level w/o distortion or break-up then .... answer would be yes if you would like ... I side w/ para as you want to have more lower frequency up front if you can, but playing that low might not be presenting you much w/ sound...

have you listened to the setup w/ the subwoofer off ??? how did it sound? if you haven't done so try it out...

The lower you can play up front the better it is for imaging. Ideally we would run our subs up front, but there is no room. You want it to sound like you are in a crowd and the band is on stage in front of you.

As long as there is no distortion, I say play as low as you can go. If you cross your sub too high you will be able to hear it is behind you. To remedy that and not be able to pinpoint it you lower the crossover.

Bass up front is good.

I am looking at new mids, looking at 8" Beymas or Ciare but that have smaller magnets and depth since my current 8"s have a 7" magnet and weigh 7+lbs...

My questions are:

Is it a bad idea to let your mids play into the lower bass spectrum if they can undistorted?

My mids roll-off at 30-40hz but normally I would crossover to my subs at say around 100-150 hz, is it a bad idea to allow my midbass and subs to reproduce the same frequencies? Would there be cancellation issues?

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

• 2 weeks later...

The limiting factor is speaker excursion, if they don't have enough you run the risk of tearing the spider or surround on the speaker, ask me how i know. lol

lol well...I really hope thats not an issue for me! But we'll see.

I also wasn't thinking about the fact that the bass should be non-directional...don't know whether that would make a difference but my guess is if nothing else I would have to deal with cancellation.

Once the weather stops being stupid I'll start up my install again. I have the pieces finally.

if you can play it to your listening level w/o distortion or break-up then .... answer would be yes if you would like ... I side w/ para as you want to have more lower frequency up front if you can, but playing that low might not be presenting you much w/ sound...

have you listened to the setup w/ the subwoofer off ??? how did it sound? if you haven't done so try it out...

Bass up front is good.

My questions are:

Once I get to the tuning stage I'll tune it without a substage. I am going to be learning as I go with the helix dsp so theres going to be a learning curve. I think the problem would be integrating things without cancellation. Most likely I will just do what Ken/Para were gettin' at which was to cross it low but not try and have my midbass and sub try and reproduce the same frequencies.

Archived