Question for you experts

So I've been thinking about building a multiple driver party speaker, also upgrading my home subwoofer amp. What would you run, a plate amp, or a digital amp plus power supply. Pros and cons? Digital amps have tons of options and are cheaper. Sound quality?Just wanna hear you guys' thoughts! These are just examples too

Amp example:

http://www.parts-express.com/sure-electronics-aa-ab31241-1x600w-tas5630-class-d-amplifier-board--320-311

Plate amp examples:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa500-500w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-807

Power supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC110-220V-DC48V-400W-Voltage-Transformer-Switch-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-QJ5P-/221989048426?hash=item33af94106a:g:N~4AAOSwGotWj2kS

Plate amp everyday over that other set up. Only time I would ever do that other set up, is if you have a spare PSU to throw away, and want to test around with stuff. Other than that, always get a plate amp.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Plate amp everyday over that other set up. Only time I would ever do that other set up, is if you have a spare PSU to throw away, and want to test around with stuff. Other than that, always get a plate amp.

Could you explain more as to why? Just trying to learn here! I can get double the power for less money. Not trying to argue you!

The main reason why I say that, is because a plate amp, is MADE for the home. Yes you can use a psu to power an amp, and yes it is great learning experience when it comes to minor electrical engineering. Having to deal with cutting wires, wiring things correctly. But if you are trying to put a home audio set up together, you should use home audio gear. That was meant and designed to run off 115v or what ever the voltage is where you are from. But yeah, if you want to have fun and test some stuff out, that won't hurt anything, but to have a car audio amp powered by a pc psu, it looks ugly as all hell lol. It's like comparing the first time I got into car audio, I took home speaker towers and laid them in my hatchback, it was funny, but in the long run, not meant to be used in that fashion.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You'll need more power than you'll think you need in a home theater than you would a car setup, as the movies have far more dynamics to the sound tracks than just music.

depends on efficiency of the sub and you also don't have to deal with things like road noise.

For 10 years I worked for a loudspeaker manufacturer that built subwoofers and speakers for very high end clients, It is called CAT california audio technology, If you want to be loud at a very affordable price look into the amplifier company called Behringer europower series, the ep4000, I used 2 of these to power 10 (12") subwoofers in my theater, very good sound very good price. You could also use it for highs, its a full range amp that has decent sound q too.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

You generally need less power for a home due to a few things, but if you have dreams of making a 150 db kick it room you can forget about it unless you are prepared to upgrade every single aspect of the room from the reinfrocement to the electrical, however a 135+ room is doable on a decent budget.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived