Second Skin Audio

Crescendo Contralto 10

McOpCo

Hey Guys,

I just put a contralto ten in my Tahoe. Dual 2Ohm wired to 1 ohm on a Crescendo Symphony 1500.1. I am quite a beginner and this is my first foray into a bigger sound system. Now don't laugh I know this isn't big yet but it's my start. So my question is if I am reading all the power ratings correct the symphony should be pushing 1500 at one ohm. The sub is rated for 1800 watts so in theory I should be able to gain the amp to close to max before getting distortion right? The problem I am facing is I can't gain the amp much past half before it starts acting weird. I am not sure if it is distortion or what again I am super noob. Basically to me it starts to get loud then if you gain it some more it seems to not cut out but get quieter and honestly it sounds like the polarity gets reveresed. I can keep gaining and it will get louder again but not as loud. Could it be the ported enclosure is not allowing it to get enough air? I don't know I just figured I could get the gain up pretty high before it would distort the sub. It is loud at least to me. Any help or suggestions on things to try would be apprecaited. I don't have an O Scope or the SMD DD1 thing although I may try one next to see if I am clipping or what.

Thanks,

From reading other posts sounds like it is probably clipping. I have 5v out from HU and it sounds like from other threads symphony amp will slip at around 25% gain with 5v outs. I thought box maybe thats why in this thread. Although think I will get different box anyway just needed something to get me by.

OP, you have a lot to learn, but that is OK.

GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!! MAX GAIN DOESNT MEAN MAX POWER!!!

Now that I have that out of my system.... Your gain is dependent on your preout voltage from the headunit (amount of ACV you are getting through your RCAs). Depending on that voltage, you could get max power out of that amp at 1/4 gain, or 1/2 gain, or 3/4 gain... it depends on the voltage. Max gain doesn't mean max power. Once you exceed the proper gain setting, all you will do is introduce clipping and cause possible harm to the amplifier and subwoofer.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

OP, you have a lot to learn, but that is OK.

GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!! MAX GAIN DOESNT MEAN MAX POWER!!!

Now that I have that out of my system.... Your gain is dependent on your preout voltage from the headunit (amount of ACV you are getting through your RCAs). Depending on that voltage, you could get max power out of that amp at 1/4 gain, or 1/2 gain, or 3/4 gain... it depends on the voltage. Max gain doesn't mean max power. Once you exceed the proper gain setting, all you will do is introduce clipping and cause possible harm to the amplifier and subwoofer.

I am clear on that now. Thank you for your response. I will say in my defense that although I did not understand the gain knob I did not just crank it all the way up and play music. I slowly increased it and when it sounded funny backed it off. Just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something else. Again all comments are much apprecaited. I am trying to learn. I need to invest in O Scope but I am not ready to make the jump yet.

Thanks again for your response.

This is really called the contralto?

Crescendo seriously?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived