Second Skin Audio

8" subs or nah?

ModestDb

8inch sub is good for a hatch back or suv you never said what kind of car . If u put an 8 in a trunk it won't be very loud had 1 in a mustang and ended up getting a skar 10

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

8inch sub is good for a hatch back or suv you never said what kind of car . If u put an 8 in a trunk it won't be very loud had 1 in a mustang and ended up getting a skar 10

Ya I was about to say I have done a single 8 in both a hatch and small SUV and was very happy

Never tried to do it in the trunk of a car I would think I would be disappointed

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Volvo s60r is the car it's going in.

I've decided to definitely run double 8" subs (ordered two VFL 8" 4 ohm) in a box built to American Bass airspace requirements for the sub (having it built), ported and tuned at 35 hz or so...and I'm currently looking at the American Bass VFL 2680 amp to run them.

That amp is in my price range and suggests it does more than 800 rms so I think it will do the job with a little overhead.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

I was loud when I had my 15" mojo. I definitely don't want to be very loud this time around lol. Just something to hear and feel but not extreme for a daily.

Can't go wrong with the VFL line with American bass . I got VFL 120.1 amp.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

tune around 40 for 8 incher u will like it better prolly and it will be louder, if u listen to slowed music u may wana go down to 35 then

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

I mean if you are looking at cone area two 8"s (all things being equal) be close to what your 15 was putting out.

You are wrong, Sir.

Just by looking you can say 2 8" subs have far far less cone area than 1 15" sub.

(Cone area = Pi x R²)

2 8" : 32 xPi

1 15" : 56.25 x Pi so, not far from the double !!!

it happens, often if it invovles simple math.

3358528.jpg

tune around 40 for 8 incher u will like it better prolly and it will be louder, if u listen to slowed music u may wana go down to 35 then

Tune for the music you listen too. Nothing wrong with tuning an 8 the same way you would tune an 18.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Tune for the music you listen too. Nothing wrong with tuning an 8 the same way you would tune an 18.

Yeah I figured the 8 is going to be a bit stiffer than bigger subs are so 32hz might be a bit too low for them (I love bass notes from a 32hz ported enclosure) with rap music. I figure 35 will be tuned low enough for my kind if music but high enough to not be useless for other songs.

Archived