mixing agm and lead acid?

hi i am in the middle of my big three. i have two lead acid batteries up front (diesel truck) and i have just placed two agm 92AH batteries in the bed. they are not wired yet. i am curious if i need one of those pac battery isolator to keep the lead acids seperated from the agm. or is it ok just to connect them all. i have 2 runs of 1/0 to the rear batteries one for each battery straight off the alt. but obviously both my lead acids are off the alternator as well. so thats why im curious if i need to go through an isolator of some sort

An AGM has different charging requirements than wet lead acid. The AGM requires a tapered charge to cut back as the voltage comes up to prevent gassing as they cannot vent they can only Absorb it into the Glass Mat that is between the plates. That being said, the alternator is not equipped to do this anyway. Ideally all would be AGM but people mix sizes and types and seem to get away with it. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

• 4 weeks later...

curious about this myself. any reccomendations?

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

I think the resting voltage for the two types might be different. So overnight when they sit, the lower resting voltage batteries will try to pull the higher ones down. The AGM companies recommend not to do this but I'm not sure how big of a deal it is.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ive ran a lead acid up front and an agm in the rear for over 3 years. No problems and still runnin strong. No isolater either.

The thing you need to worry about when mixing battery typed is the their resting voltages. Each sits differently. If you connect 2 battiers, and they sit forever connected, they will drain each other because they will both try to be at an equal resting voltage but they can't, so they get drained. However, if it is a daily vehicle that will be start and stopped numerous times throrought the day, you will be fine doing it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The thing you need to worry about when mixing battery typed is the their resting voltages. Each sits differently. If you connect 2 battiers, and they sit forever connected, they will drain each other because they will both try to be at an equal resting voltage but they can't, so they get drained. However, if it is a daily vehicle that will be start and stopped numerous times throrought the day, you will be fine doing it.

All that will happen is one will get pulled down to the resting voltage of the other, they don't drain each other completely.

Especially in a daily driven vehicle.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I've ran both acid lead up front and agm in the rear for years. Yes it's true if you let the car sit without constantly driving more than likely the acid lead will drain. It happened to me. Went out of town for 5 days. Came home battery dead. To prevent this i did what you're thinking. Got me a 200amp stinger relay to basically disconnect between the two when the car is off. No problems since then. And it was cheaper than going to get matching agms.

All that will happen is one will get pulled down to the resting voltage of the other, they don't drain each other completely.

Especially in a daily driven vehicle.

As I stated, on a vehicle that sits for ever without any start ups to charge will drain.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm