Sonic Electronix

Removing the rubber from around the magnet? Yes or no

Its there to protect them from chipping and such. Not "needed", but no advantage to removing.

Disagree.

Many times where removing the rubber boot can be louder by a drastic amount.

On some W3s it wont make a difference, or most 15s in general.

But on 10s and 12s with beefy magnets that are near the size of the sub cutout with the magnet boot on you can gain a lot on the meter usually just due to air pressure being able to move around more freely.

The one eclipse I helped with with 4 dd9512s walled gained something like 1.3db iirc from removing the magnet boots, but it had a decently thick baffle and the magnet structure was partially in the baffle so it really opened up the area around the magnet.

That didn't really have anything to do with the boot, more with the lack of clearance between the motor and the baffle.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Its there to protect them from chipping and such. Not "needed", but no advantage to removing.

Disagree.

But on 10s and 12s with beefy magnets that are near the size of the sub cutout with the magnet boot on you can gain a lot on the meter usually just due to air pressure being able to move around more freely.

The one eclipse I helped with with 4 dd9512s walled gained something like 1.3db iirc from removing the magnet boots, but it had a decently thick baffle and the magnet structure was partially in the baffle so it really opened up the area around the magnet.

That didn't really have anything to do with the boot, more with the lack of clearance between the motor and the baffle.

But, by removing the boot, it changed those variables. So, Yes.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Disagree.

But, by removing the boot, it changed those variables. So, Yes.

The only variable that changed were the parameters of the enclosure (increased net airspace). You would see some type of difference with any sub or sub size by doing that. It just so happened in that case that by increasing the box volume, it gained on the meter.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

The airspace gained from a magnet boot is nothing significant. Typical beefy 10s and 12s are under around .18 to .25 cubic feet of displacement.

Your talking like 0.01 cubic feet of increased airspace IF your lucky from removing the magnet boot......

Its so little it wouldnt even matter, nor make a huge gain on the Term-Lab.

I said why it is louder if you read, and it is due to the air being able to flow around woofers magnets that are huge and only reapply applies to your smaller woofers like 8s, 10s, and 12s where the magnet diameter is damn near the same size as the cutout hole.

It is application dependent and those installs with thicker baffles will benefit from it a lot more than a thinner baffle.

Woofers like this are where you benefit from removing the rubber boot.

DSC00344.jpg

2010_01_26_16_09_02_9510.jpg

I remember someone that made a thread about all the things that can be done and hot they effected your loudness, from ac vents to seating position. I always just take mine off

iirc it was fecupe2001 that did a bunch of that testing a while ago.

I still don't see how airflow would be that dramatic of a difference just by removing the boot but if you have testing to back it up, I can't really argue with that :)

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Can you read?

My first post Ive said it was a 1.3db gain iirc.......

Also as I said multiple times it is install dependent. The thicker the baffle with a giant motor stuck into it has less room for air to flow around the magnet.

Removing the boot gains you around 1/4 to 1/2 inch around the woofer.

It only applies to smaller woofers that have huge magnets that are close to the diameter of the woofer cutout. Where as 18 inch woofers dont have a 17inch diameter magnet so there is no real point.

This is something that has been known for years and years by just about every serious spl competitor.

Go find Fecupe2001 thread, I also believe he tested it as well in an experiment to get the most out of a box.

This was the car it gained in due to the top of the magnet being so close to the inside baffle.

08-08-08_1430-1.jpg

056.jpg

I was finally able to find Fecupe2001s thread where he tested the same woofer in the same box and did multiple things.

In his test removing the boot was a .1db gain only, but a gain none the less.

But it is noted that he did this testing with a digital designs 2512, that 12 has a tiny magnet, and iirc the box was only a single layer 3/4inch baffle.

So theres your testing

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98191-spl-gains-updates-page-30-routing-the-port/?hl=fecupe2001

Someone that is wanting a 150db and can only do a 149.9 db, there is his .1db without spending no money.

With a higher end woofer that has a larger magnet obstructing the the air path and a thicker baffle the increase in output from removing the magnet boot can be huge.

First off, I said if there's been testing done to back it up, I can't argue with that. Not sure how you interpreted that but I was agreeing with you so there's no reason to be a dick.

It's surprising to me that just that little bit of a difference nets that much of a gain. I don't do a shit ton of testing or chase numbers though either.

Bottom line, I didn't come in here to argue so I'll just leave it at that.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

I took both of the boots off,. "I still have them" They are still sexy, but they are not on display.

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

Archived