Sonic Electronix

Removing the rubber from around the magnet? Yes or no

I have a pair of JL Audio 15w3v2's. They have serve me well for a few years. I took them out to get ready for a rebuild and noticed the big ass rubber doughnut around the Magnets of the subs.

1. Should I cut the rubber off or leave it on?

2. What are the pros and con's of either choice?

Help a Brotha out.......

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

I was thinking that there might be some cooling advantage by removing them........ Discuss

I was thinking that there might be some cooling advantage by removing them........ Discuss

Not really. The magnets don't produce any heat, they just get warmed up from radiant heat coming off the coil. If you burn your coils up with the boots on, you were going to burn them up if the boots were off anyway.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If you want the boot off set them face down in the sun for like half hour to get the rubber boot warm and flexible and just peel it off. at the end of the day they are your subs and doing so will have zero impact on performance whatsoever so you just do you.

Its there to protect them from chipping and such. Not "needed", but no advantage to removing.

Disagree.

Many times where removing the rubber boot can be louder by a drastic amount.

On some W3s it wont make a difference, or most 15s in general.

But on 10s and 12s with beefy magnets that are near the size of the sub cutout with the magnet boot on you can gain a lot on the meter usually just due to air pressure being able to move around more freely.

The one eclipse I helped with with 4 dd9512s walled gained something like 1.3db iirc from removing the magnet boots, but it had a decently thick baffle and the magnet structure was partially in the baffle so it really opened up the area around the magnet.

Cool guys, thanks for the info, I'll remove them. Pics to follow as soon as I remember how to post them?????? Help

Its there to protect them from chipping and such. Not "needed", but no advantage to removing.

Disagree.

Many times where removing the rubber boot can be louder by a drastic amount.

On some W3s it wont make a difference, or most 15s in general.

But on 10s and 12s with beefy magnets that are near the size of the sub cutout with the magnet boot on you can gain a lot on the meter usually just due to air pressure being able to move around more freely.

The one eclipse I helped with with 4 dd9512s walled gained something like 1.3db iirc from removing the magnet boots, but it had a decently thick baffle and the magnet structure was partially in the baffle so it really opened up the area around the magnet.

I remember someone that made a thread about all the things that can be done and hot they effected your loudness, from ac vents to seating position. I always just take mine off
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm