Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer doesn't work?

Hello all,

I just purchased a subwoofer as part of a repossession lot, and it does not work. I am trying to figure out why not.

The subwoofer doesn't appear blown, as in, when I push on the cone, I don't hear any rubbing like I've heard in the past.

It's a Quantum Audio "Q2000 / 15D" subwoofer, 4 ohm DVC. When I take a multimeter to it, running positive and negative terminals, I get nothing.

When I run positive on one coil to positive on the other coil, I get 4 ohms showing on the meter.

Looking into the subwoofer, I see that near the voice coil, there are small strands of wire wrapped around it at the base (potentially the actual coils?), and I can see a single strand that isn't wrapped tightly around the voice coil, could this be the cause?

The subwoofer only cost me $12, so opening it up to take a look and potentially damaging it isn't a problem. I've just never run into this, and would like to try and learn something from the experience.

----------------

I should mention that I know my electrical in the car is good.. I have several other sets of subwoofers I can hook up to the amplifier, and they all work as intended. It's 100% an issue with the subwoofer itself.

If you dont get a reading when checking the coils then its messed up. And forsure if some of the coil is unwound

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

She's toast.

Toast as in literally blown?

This subwoofer seems brand new to me, still smells new, came in the original box, no dust on or around it, no scratches etc.

The only experience I've had with a blown subwoofer it had horrible coil rub when I pushed down.

Can anyone explain this a little bit more other than saying it just doesn't work?

image_zpsqhecp8kk.png Just a cheep sub sorry man , U measured both coils and are dead ?

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Take the good coil and plug in to a wall socket and me a video the sub is halfway blown already not worth fixing

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

justt a cheep sub sorry man , U measured both coils and are dead ?

lol yeah I'm aware its a crappy subwoofer. I only paid $12.

I'm just more curious as to what's actually wrong, and how it could happen, since I've never seen this issue before.

For the coils, when I do one coil positive and negative, I read nothing.

When I go positive from one coil to positive of the other, I read 4 ohms. When I go negative on one coil to negative on another, I read nothing.

Take the good coil and plug in to a wall socket and me a video the sub is halfway blown already not worth fixing

I don't think it has a good coil.
Otherwise I would just run it on 1 voice coil and call it good.

Archived