What is recommended?

I'd say 2/0 will be sufficient according to the amp wire charts, even 1/0 could work if it was a short run. As far as how you do your grounds, there's a split in opinion. Some say do a direct to battery, others say frame is fine. As long as you have a solid ground point on the frame you should be ok. If you're adding a second battery you could ground to that. Every installation has a different ideal method based on the vehicle and setup.

As far as audio shops, I've had nothing but bad experience with them. They aren't all bad but you never really know till they do some half ass work. If you want it done top notch, it's best to educate yourself and do it yourself. Plus you will save yourself money down the road in future installs by learning everything yourself.

Yea I have done lesser installs around 1000 watts before, but my installs always look like some one at the flea market did them. It might be easier to learn to install clean than to teach a shop about reading an oscilloscope.

Does anybody know how much voltage drop is acceptable? I have an oscilloscope and can watch the input voltage in relation to amplifier output. What kind of stability should I be aiming for?

I'd play down into the mid 11's all day without any issue or worries. 11.3v is where I would back off. Let the batteries do their job...

In you're setup, with a true HO alt, an upgraded front battery with 1/0 big 3 up front, 2 runs of 1/0 to the battery in the rear, I bet you could hold 12.5-12.8(right at battery power, where the alternator(s) is getting overdrawn) on music whilst driving pretty easily. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw 2 batteries in the rear. More the merrier.

I'm planning a similar setup in the following months, with a 400w 4 channel, and at least a 3500w amp. I will be running a 270a or 350a alt, 1 group 65 AGM up front, 1 run of SkyHigh 2/0 and 2 runs of 1/0 to the rear, with two XS Power XP2000's in my bed. I'm almost for certain that it will be perfect for playing music with ~350a of draw.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I'd play down into the mid 11's all day without any issue or worries. 11.3v is where I would back off. Let the batteries do their job...

In you're setup, with a true HO alt, an upgraded front battery with 1/0 big 3 up front, 2 runs of 1/0 to the battery in the rear, I bet you could hold 12.5-12.8(right at battery power, where the alternator(s) is getting overdrawn) on music whilst driving pretty easily. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw 2 batteries in the rear. More the merrier.

I'm planning a similar setup in the following months, with a 400w 4 channel, and at least a 3500w amp. I will be running a 270a or 350a alt, 1 group 65 AGM up front, 1 run of SkyHigh 2/0 and 2 runs of 1/0 to the rear, with two XS Power XP2000's in my bed. I'm almost for certain that it will be perfect for playing music with ~350a of draw.

I wouldnt wanna see 11s . I would back off at mid/high 12s if it even gets there

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

x2, but it is better to prep for max performance rather than "average" performance in my opinion.

I wouldnt wanna see 11s . I would back off at mid/high 12s if it even gets there

You have to remember though, batteries float at 12.7-12.9v generally, so dropping to 12.8 isnt really utilizing the bank you have, granted they will work as a buffer before hitting 12.8v but getting to mid 12's to low 12's isnt bad, just understand you have to back off every once in a while and let it bounce back if you are playing the system hard.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I think just about everyone that's into the car audio hobby has done the flea market install at one point. We did some god awful stuff in the name of not buying the proper tools back in the day. Seen a few fires started while driving down the road too.

I ground to a seat bolt and I have pretty much no voltage drop unless I am full clip. I also have a very efficient amp and know the limits of my system.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I didnt buy my batts bc they look pretty :shrug:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

bought them motherfuckers to actually do something. I use to play in the mid 11's all day, no worries....

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Well I have a high output alt and decent batt bank and I never see 11 volts. . Im runnin 2 saz2500s on 2 zcon 18s

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

not all seat bolt are created equal... mine bolt into a cage nut in the floor.... the wire lug gets held directly to the floor pan then you can also make another run of ground to this same point if you wish.... some unibody cars would benefit more from direct grounds because of the pinch welds and metal composition

Archived