Second Skin Audio

Three NVX VCW12's Box Build

First Im going to go on a rant on why my boxes are better than the majority of other sellers that are selling you pretty much a prefab type "custom" enclosure.

So a member on the forums bought a box from one of these builders all because I wouldnt ship to a PO Box, makes me disappointed that he settled for such a bad quality box.

So lets look at this retailers boxes, I will point out flaw after flaw.

By no means am I perfect and Im always learning and improving myself and tools to do the job better, but I feel what is being missed out on is basic stuff that anyone building custom boxes should be doing.

So here we go with the first picture.

From this picture you can notice that the flush mount baffle was added after the box was already built.

First issue with this is that flush mount baffle is doing nothing for strength since it can only be screwed to the box and not adhered with wood glue.

You also have an awkward seam on the box due to the box and the flush mount baffle being placed together.

Second issue on this picture is the aeroports (precision ports) are not properly used. As PSP states on their site they are more efficient than a slot port if used correctly.

For them to be used correctly the port needs to be its own diameter away from any side of the box. These look like 4 inch ports which each port needs to be 4 inches away from the side wall and the bottom of the box, The side wall maybe close to 4 inches away, but from the bottom of the box is no where near 4 inches away.

PDnkgn.jpg

Now on this image below we are back to the carpeting.

These carpet seams are ugly in the corners, its all bulging and overlapping on the corner. It does not look clean one bit.

Also you can really see how far apart the flush mount baffle is spaced away from the rest of the box meaning that its a carpeted baffle on top of a carpeted box, with a ugly seam all the way around.
k4r4uk.jpg

In this picture lets look at that tiny rinky dink terminal, the box is not even pre-wired for the woofer.

Also look at that brace, it is bad (to be continued in the next pic).

wuBt2k.jpg

Back to the bracing this is a picture from the forum member that bought the box.

This is a restrictive brace that is not correct. When you build window braces you need as much air to pass through as easily as possible.

This brace has a hole cut for the woofer magnet and 4 corners cut off at 45degree angles.

Now Im not able to measure just from the picture square inches of open space in the brace, but Im sure once you put a woofer in the box with a beefy magnet there will not be much room for the air to move through this brace.

Also lets look at the glue used on the brace, oh wait there is no glue on the brace to hold it to the side of the box.

Ok now lets look at the glue that is used between the 2 baffles, oh again there is no glue.

Now one could say that it is possibly sanded off but that is clearly not the case since you can see the marks left from the router bit flush trim bearing, if it was sanded those marks wouldnt be visible.

Lastly lets look at the liquid nails type glue used inside the box. This is some of the worst stuff to use to build a box with because it is so thick and hard to spread evenly when you are putting 2 panels together. My guess is that this box is not even glue together and only held together by brad nails, the carpet wrapped around the outside, and the liquid nails looking stuff on the inside.

Liquid nails is great if you got uneven cuts and giant gaps that need to be filled though. Maybe that is the case here...
You want to use a decent amount of glue, if its not seeping out when you clamp 2 pieces of wood together, your not using enough glue!!

64NsBj.jpg

The reason Im saying this all is because he paid $215 plus $35 for shipping.

The box Im about to post pictures of I charged $250 for (it is a local guy so shipping not included)

I feel a better built box for a similar price makes it comparable to each other.
I put a lot of time and work in to my boxes and will build more for less money than almost anyone else I bet.

That box is pretty horrible.

My thoughts exactly, and apparently only other builders that pride themselves in quality built like yourself notice the same things I notice!

The box Im about to post in this thread is only $35 more than this ebay box and has a lot more work done to it...

I completely understand your points. I have been following your work for about a year now and am completely impressed. I have been trying to implement some of your techniques (as well as others) in my own side business building boxes.. look forward to what u have to share.

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

I only use TightBond3 when I build mainly due to its longer open time before it starts to dry, so if you have a difficult glue up that needs to be assembled your glue will not start setting up as quick.

Another reason for the longer open time is it gives the glue longer to penetrate the wood for a stronger bond.

I also use this glue because it is stable down to a colder temperature so when Im building in winter it will still set like normal and not freeze if my garage is only 50ish degrees.

It costs more, but to me the pros out weigh the cost.

Wood is all ruff cut.

9lbbNL.jpg

This box needs to be angled to allow room for the baby stroller to fit behind the box in the vehicle.

p2Wjx1.jpg

Vrl15i.jpg

Zv6bCu.jpg

6yPaLF.jpg

Starting assembly.

MZz7wQ.jpg

Gluing the port together. Glued, clamped, and nailed.

9EoXo6.jpg

3cXj01.jpg

Test fitting the port.

cV2AmB.jpg

Now I need to make a template of the port shape to make it easier to make the interior window braces that will match up to the port contour.

wfT7F9.jpg

UIi0Qt.jpg

iSncfr.jpg

DrBlun.jpg

nROvul.jpg

4eeQhs.jpg

fz8uAS.jpg

vK7sR2.jpg

Now its time to start making my own templates to make the window bracing.
This material is 1/4 HDPE (plastic) I picked up in a 4foot by 8foot size and cut it to size, strips are 1inch wide.
This will not melt from the router bearing like ABS plastic will.

HZfj8u.jpg

G8Qb5R.jpg

Window braces are cut out.

4Otqsb.jpg

I completely understand your points. I have been following your work for about a year now and am completely impressed. I have been trying to implement some of your techniques (as well as others) in my own side business building boxes.. look forward to what u have to share.

If your ever having questions, just message me man!!

Archived