Second Skin Audio

Painting box?

kpllk

Alright so I've been riding around with a plain, unfinished box the last few months because I was waiting for an idea of how I wanted the finished product to look, and I've finally got it. I have a couple of questions for you guys though

First, how many times to you guys think its safe to unscrew something from MDF and put it back before having to use T-nuts? I'm guessing one time shouldn't really be a problem, but MDF seems like it would be pretty unforgiving with things like that. I was thinking I could probably put some wood putty or wood glue in the holes before I screw them back in for a little extra strength? I have my amp screwed to the side of the box which is my only real concern.

What's the best way to fix some pretty big fuck ups? I made a really stupid mistake when building it and I predrilled all the holes through the baffle, took it off to lay down the glue, and somehow it must have gotten flipped or turned because nothing really lined up. The baffle pulled to the side so it wasn't flush, and screws started going through the wood :fool: The part that isn't flush is about 3/16 off for the most part. I tried using wood putty thinking it would work, but either it doesn't go good with MDF, or it was alright screwed up because it didn't seem right straight out of the can. I see a lot of people use body filler, but do you guys think it would be thick enough to smooth that gap out? In a few lighter coats of course. Or would I need to resort to something like fiberglassing the whole thing to make it look nice?

And finally, anyone want to give me a quick run down of how you all paint your boxes? Like what type of paint and tools you use. Usually I'd do my research on this before asking, but since I'm already posting I figured I'd see if someone can save me some time. I'm going for all black with a splatter red finish

Alright so I've been riding around with a plain, unfinished box the last few months because I was waiting for an idea of how I wanted the finished product to look, and I've finally got it. I have a couple of questions for you guys though

First, how many times to you guys think its safe to unscrew something from MDF and put it back before having to use T-nuts? I'm guessing one time shouldn't really be a problem, but MDF seems like it would be pretty unforgiving with things like that. I was thinking I could probably put some wood putty or wood glue in the holes before I screw them back in for a little extra strength? I have my amp screwed to the side of the box which is my only real concern.

What's the best way to fix some pretty big fuck ups? I made a really stupid mistake when building it and I predrilled all the holes through the baffle, took it off to lay down the glue, and somehow it must have gotten flipped or turned because nothing really lined up. The baffle pulled to the side so it wasn't flush, and screws started going through the wood :fool: The part that isn't flush is about 3/16 off for the most part. I tried using wood putty thinking it would work, but either it doesn't go good with MDF, or it was alright screwed up because it didn't seem right straight out of the can. I see a lot of people use body filler, but do you guys think it would be thick enough to smooth that gap out? In a few lighter coats of course. Or would I need to resort to something like fiberglassing the whole thing to make it look nice?

And finally, anyone want to give me a quick run down of how you all paint your boxes? Like what type of paint and tools you use. Usually I'd do my research on this before asking, but since I'm already posting I figured I'd see if someone can save me some time. I'm going for all black with a splatter red finish

Rip a piece of mdf 3/16 wide the length of the gap. Use wood glue and glue the "filler" strip in the gap. Clamp it tight. Once dry, use your favorite body filler to cover the seams of this fix, then use it to cover the rest of the seams, the screw holes, and the mdf edges.

Sand it smooth, then prime it. After priming, fix all the mistakes that are now visible because of the priming. Sand again. Re-prime. Sand again. Then paint.

It depends on how much work it will take to fix the error, but my general opinion is that MDF is cheap, just rebuild the box. With the experience you gained building it the first time your next one should be that much better. If you have to do anything with fiberglass in attempt to fix the mistake you will almost certainly be better just building a new box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Liquid nails is good for filling holes and gaps.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I would use Bondo to fill in any gaps that you mentioned. It works great on boxes especially ones made out of mdf. As far as painting goes I usually use birch and stain the box and then to a polyurethane over top of it to keep it nice. For mdf you will need to primer the wood first to get it ready to accept paint and look good in the process. You can just paint the raw mdf but it will look much better if you primer it with a coat or two first before you paint the box. Once you put a coat of paint on then I would suggest sanding it and doing another coat or two sanding before each new coat.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Archived