Second Skin Audio

Do SQ subwoofers exist?

06RTCharger

"Audiophile grade" is just a term used to make suckers part ways with more of their money.

I'll agree that you do get what you pay for lots of times but just because something is more expensive does not mean it is better or that it will sound better, and that's a fact.

Getting what you pay for is more in reference to the bottom of the barrel shit, I strongly feel that you aren't getting what you paid for when you spend $1300 on a jl w7, or $15,000 on a high end focal components,

What you are getting at that point is ripped off.

It's nice stuff yes, but worth what it cost, well that's a matter of opinion and mine is that it's not.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

"Audiophile grade" is just a term used to make suckers part ways with more of their money.

I'll agree that you do get what you pay for lots of times but just because something is more expensive does not mean it is better or that it will sound better, and that's a fact.

Getting what you pay for is more in reference to the bottom of the barrel shit, I strongly feel that you aren't getting what you paid for when you spend $1300 on a jl w7, or $15,000 on a high end focal components,

It's nice stuff yes, but worth what it cost, well that's a matter of opinion and mine is that it's not.

I'll agree with you on that term... if I was selling something. I am using it in reference to the quality level of the system. Just because someone is selling an item for $1000 doesn't mean you can't get it elsewhere for $500. I wouldn't buy items at such a high cost unless I wanted to brag. When or if I use the term expensive, in my mind, $500 for a component set is expensive, maybe even excessive. If you are an Athlete or Entertainer or just have lots of disposable income then go for it. I just said quality.

The JL W7 is expensive but is a very well engineered subwoofer with lots of technology and when it was moved over to the car audio world made and continues to make a statement on quality. You can make a $1000+ dollar sub sound like $50 sub or make a $200 sub sound like a $500 sub though.

To the OP, there are many subwoofers out there. Shop around, shop smart, plan ahead, budget your system and go for it. There are some older Pioneer premier subs that I still have a soft spot for that sounded great. Like this IMPP sub

37583tsw1241dvc_big_zps4jezytag.jpg

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

JBL P1224 12" dual 4ohm Subwoofers

Alpine MRV-F545 - Alpine MRX M100

Hand Built by Me 5.9cu.ft. slot ported enclosure tuned to 27hz

I always thought it was more impressive to make $1000 of gear sound like $10,000 of gear

I don't think I've ever seen a t-line in an sq build. I'm sure that it's been done.

Saying "it must be a t-line" makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about, because that is simply not true. Any enclosure type can be used, if used properly. Saying that is definitely misleading.

I don't think I've ever seen a t-line in an sq build. I'm sure that it's been done.

Saying "it must be a t-line" makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about, because that is simply not true. Any enclosure type can be used, if used properly. Saying that is definitely misleading.

I thought infinite baffle was popular

I thought infinite baffle was popular

I saw a lot of sealed, some infinite baffle, some aperiodic membranes, some ported.

T-lines are a popular form of enclosure in systems aiming for quality, they just appear less in car audio because they are restricted so much by the car dimensions.

I didn't notice anything inherently wrong with anything he said.

There are many ways to go about the designing your sub-stage and his preference could be transmission lines.

For example I avoid anything with a port in it, because I don't like the cons as much as the pros of the designs.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Thanks Krakin. I never said it had to be a TL... it was a suggestion because they are known for superior sound. The topic is SQ subs... what good is an SQ sub without an SQ enclosure.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

JBL P1224 12" dual 4ohm Subwoofers

Alpine MRV-F545 - Alpine MRX M100

Hand Built by Me 5.9cu.ft. slot ported enclosure tuned to 27hz

Yeah, I know what a t-line is.

Your first post reads like a list of rules, and in that list of rules it says a t-line enclosure.

Everything you wrote were great suggestions, my concern was if a noob read your first post he would think, "it has to be active, it has to be a t-line, it has to be a head unit with no internal amp, it has to be a foreign car etc..."

That's actually exactly how I read it, a list of rules. First thing I thought was snafu and his 18s and cable guy with his passive set up. Plus, aren't 8s a really peaky sub and not really a good idea unless space forces you to use them? Wouldn't that make them really un-ideal (is that a word?) choice for a sq system?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived