Fiberglassing a pillars question

Tahoe Dmo

So as the title says, I'm fiberglassing my a pillars in my Tahoe. I'm adding a 4" and a tweeter in each one. I've watched several things on fiberglassing a pillars and it seems everybody cuts a hole in the pillars under the speaker pods they add. Is this necessary? I'd add pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

So as the title says, I'm fiberglassing my a pillars in my Tahoe. I'm adding a 4" and a tweeter in each one. I've watched several things on fiberglassing a pillars and it seems everybody cuts a hole in the pillars under the speaker pods they add. Is this necessary? I'd add pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Its either to make room for the back of the speaker (magnet) or to not seal the driver up in too small of a space. Or help control back wave with deadener and acoustic foam.

Okay guys, I've gotten a bit further and am in need of more assistance. Surprisingly, there is very little on the Internet about fiberglassing a-pillars. But anyway, I've applied the resin to the fabric that I covered it with and let it dry and after that, I laid some mat down. Now do I need to sand it and put another layer of mat down or just go ahead with another layer of mat without sanding? Is two layers of mat even needed? Or should I just apply the milkshake now or what?

Okay guys, I've gotten a bit further and am in need of more assistance. Surprisingly, there is very little on the Internet about fiberglassing a-pillars. But anyway, I've applied the resin to the fabric that I covered it with and let it dry and after that, I laid some mat down. Now do I need to sand it and put another layer of mat down or just go ahead with another layer of mat without sanding? Is two layers of mat even needed? Or should I just apply the milkshake now or what?

The more sanding and glassing you do now the less "milkshake" you need later

So there's really no set amount of how much, its all about how its already been laid out (pictures would help greatly)

and you need to sand in between layers unless you want delamination.

Archived