Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

To add dash speakers, or not to add dash speakers...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys, so I wasn't sure where to put this question so it's going here. I have an 03 Volvo v40 wagon that I plan on doing a single 15" sub in, around 1500-2000w. My car comes with standard 3.5" dash speakers, but I wonder if the 5.25" coaxials in the front doors will be enough. Being a budget build, I'd rather spend less and only have to have a 2 channel amp, but don't want to waste my money and end up unhappy with my top end. Thanks for reading!

Posted

For sound quality and imaging having a set of comps on the dash done right would be nice sounding. Then you could use your doors for Midbass. 4 channel amps aren't that expensive. Could run the dash off HU power, Midrange and tweeters don't always need a ton power to sound good. But then again your trying to keep up a 15" sub.

Posted

Hertz makes a nice 3 inch for the dash look under the Mille line around 250.00 to 450.00 depends on dealer. I get them for 250.00

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

DO NOT get just coaxials. My first build I had was coax's in the doors on a single 15 with 500 watts. Could barely hear the music, and you have x4 that power. Comp sets are usually 10-20 more than a coax set in most cases, and are definitely worth that.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

  • Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Posted

I've been down that road with my Jetta. I could not find 3.5" speakers that sounded good in my dash. Even 4's sounded like junk slamming off of the window glass. I threw out the tiny, weak coaxials and put 6.5" CDT components in the front doors. Much better.

Posted

Thanks for the input guys. This is going to be a super budget build, was hoping to spending around $120 on a highs/mids amp. Being a POS Volvo I don't care if it doesn't sound like symphony Hall, just better, louder, and more clear than the stock shit that's in there now. Might step it down to 1000-1500 watts depending on how much $ has to go to the front end

Posted

did a build in an 01 s40. fuck mids in the dash dude. do a decent 5.25 comp set, put the mids in the doors, yank the factory dash speakers out and put your tweeters in the dash. They'lll play off the windshield, sounds great.

and before you ask, I ran JBL ms-52c's. You'll have to tie into the factory harness behind the dash to get in the doors or drill through the molex, one of the two.

Idk if you have an aftermarket radio in it yet, but a Ford double din kit works great, the ones for 05-09 mustangs, 04-08 f150s, 04+ expeiditions and super duties.. Slides right in.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Posted

If he is a basshead, then no need to have good sounding front stage? If tweeters sound good off the windshield, why wouldn't mids & highs? I was thinking like a Dayton Budget brand speaker. Good quality for less money in some opinions. You might be more interested in something louder though like super tweeters and pro-mids to keep up with the substage.

Posted

do a decent 5.25 comp set, put the mids in the doors, yank the factory dash speakers out and put your tweeters in the dash.

^^ This right here. Use a set with a passive crossover that all works as one unit. Easy, cheap, great results.

If he is a basshead, then no need to have good sounding front stage? If tweeters sound good off the windshield, why wouldn't mids & highs? I was thinking like a Dayton Budget brand speaker. Good quality for less money in some opinions. You might be more interested in something louder though like super tweeters and pro-mids to keep up with the substage.

Didn't read where he is a basshead and doesn't care about decent sound up front...

Random mismatched coaxes or a pieced-together kit with random speakers and crossovers has a much greater chance of sounding horrible compared to a complete component set. In the right hands they may sound better for a bit less money, but for the vast majority a simple component set with passives engineered for that set are a much more reliable solution.

Static drops are my bag.

Posted

If time aligned and crossover set right dash speakers can create the stage presence in front of you at ear level.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 719 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...