Sonic Electronix

Ripped subwoofer spider help!

Not going to work, it will only get worse from this point onward, if it tore once it will again and again till its totally shot.

The tear does not look quite like a tear as it looks like it was cut as clean as the edges are.

As long as the tear/slice goes through the spider like it is, i would just play it till it takes a shit

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

FYI when a spider tears like that it is due to over excursion. The spider is moving beyond its means and the ripples are being pulled flat.

So that can mean it is from the box being too large, the woofer being over powered way too much, playing the woofer way below box tuning, or a combination of those things.

You cant really fix it except by putting glue on it, but that is a bad idea because it will make that spot of the spider rigid so the spiders will not move freely (or at all) in that spot which will cause the coil to rub.

Might as well just play it till its a goner.

Hello, subwoofer didnt clip atleast not on ear.. max excursion was about 35mm in both ways.. and box was 4cuft 34hz tuning.

were you playing way below tuning tuning, like 20hz ? What is the subsonic filter set to ?

Hello, subwoofer didnt clip atleast not on ear.. max excursion was about 35mm in both ways.. and box was 4cuft 34hz tuning.

were you playing way below tuning tuning, like 20hz ? What is the subsonic filter set to ?

I have maybe 2 songs that goes to 29hz but mostly i listen to songs 32hz + and subsonic was on about 30hz

I told you why a spider rips like that, the only reason is from over excursion. Too much power, box / port too big, playing under tuning.

Judging by your previous threads titled "low bass" you said:

Hmm how much power and tuning frequency you need to get really good lows ( under 25hz)

Your other thread "Alpine Type R 15" Smell" you said:

Hello,

when bumping my sub a little bit harder it's starts to smell

Box is tuned to 32-33hz and most of bass songs i play are 28hz+ And i set subsonic on about 28-30hz so it's safe for low notes.. all really low notes doesnt extend subwoofer xmax

Now in this thread you said:

I have maybe 2 songs that goes to 29hz but mostly i listen to songs 32hz + and subsonic was on about 30hz

Your stories are not lining up...

Just face it, YOU wrecked your woofer.

+1. those subs are not much different than the 3-5 year old ones. it seems that alpine kept the same design but just upped the power handling. you over-drove the sub and damaged it. shit happens. also the box is probably too large being 4cuft. for an alpine type r 15 it is 1.5-3 cuft. so at 4 its too large which is probably why you have issues. too large of a box, using too much power and playing too low for the sub. all of those will destroy a alpine woofer that uses cookie cutter parts.

I told you why a spider rips like that, the only reason is from over excursion. Too much power, box / port too big, playing under tuning.

Judging by your previous threads titled "low bass" you said:

Hmm how much power and tuning frequency you need to get really good lows ( under 25hz)

Your other thread "Alpine Type R 15" Smell" you said:

Hello,

when bumping my sub a little bit harder it's starts to smell

Box is tuned to 32-33hz and most of bass songs i play are 28hz+ And i set subsonic on about 28-30hz so it's safe for low notes.. all really low notes doesnt extend subwoofer xmax

Now in this thread you said:

Your stories are not lining up...

Just face it, YOU wrecked your woofer.

LOL but he wasn't clipping to ear.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Listen.. I bought used alpine and after few months surround unstuck and then i saw that there wasnt original glue.. then i send it to the guy who repairs subwoofers and stuff and he made new voice coil and glue it all together.. and when i got subwoofer back and put it in box volume wasnt even on 50% and i heard some weird sounds.. next day i got subwoofer out of box and saw that spider is ripped..

Archived