Sundown Audio

Which amp is the best bang for my buck

Joe Hagerty

Hey got a question just need some I put on I'm getting ready to order a new amplifier for my 2 soundqubed HDS315s and am torn between two amps first choice is the hifonics brx3016.1d and the second is the shark shk3500.1 right now I have a planet audio ac5000.1 and it's not giving me anywhere near enough power but don't have enough cash for anything high end like dc or any of the other more expensive brands so out of the two amps which would be the best bang for my buck thanks in advance for any and all input. If any of yall know of any other brands around 300 and 350 that will give me the true 3000 watts please feel free to list them as well.

I've been searching for months for the best budget amp that would do a true 3500-5k RMS and settled on a Sound Magus vs3500.1 that did 3930 RMS Certified on the amp dyno. I'm not sure how long the sale is but you might still be able to pick it up for ~435$ on sale. The Shark shk3500.1 did just under 2400 RMS Certified on the same amp dyno test. If it's in your budget I think the extra 1500 RMS is worth the extra 115$ over the Shark amp.

If you decide to spend a little more to get into a little higher end amp I really like the Twisted Sounds 2.8k and 3.5k. These are highly under rated with the 2.8k doing 3985 RMS Certified and the 3.5k doing 4746 RMS Certified. They are 600$ and 800$ respectively but if you can catch them on sale I think they are a great deal.

Sorry the amp's I listed are slightly out of your price range but I prefer to deal with amps that I've actually seen do rated power on the amp dyno. Maybe some other more experienced members can give you some better suggestions. The only amp in that price range that I can find that I think might do 3k+ RMS is the Stetsom EX3000EQ which you can find in 1 or 2 ohm versions for 350-360$. The Stetsom is rated at 3000 watts RMS at 12.6v and 3550 at 14.4v. The Stetsom and Taramps brands are interesting Brazilian made amps that do rated power from what I've read but I've also read a lot of these amps are picky about voltage and won't like anything over 15v. I think the Sound Magus amp I picked up is included in this. I don't see how it would be an issue unless you plan to change from a 12v to a 14v or 16v charging system. For that kind of power on that budget it seems to me like you should look into Brazilian amps. Soundqubed, Taramps, PRV, Sound Digital, Sound Magus, Stetsom I believe are all Brazilian made amps that put out good power for the money but its still hard to find something that does 3000 RMS or more without getting into the 400-500$ range and I haven't seen amp dyno test to actually prove they do rated plus a lot of these amps have mixed reviews but I think it's mostly due to people not staying in the voltage range these amps were made for. With that said some are designed to handle higher voltages but you have to read the manufacture's ratings to make sure if you plan to bump up the voltage.

Hifonics=$240

https://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-BRX3016-1D-Subwoofer-Amplifier-3000-Watt/dp/B00T3VMW4E

Shark=$320 (although other sites may have it for less, dropinhertz has them 20% off)

http://sharkcaraudio.com/shark-shkamp3500d-3500w-slim-design-mono-mosfet-car-audio-professional-super-thin-car-truck-van-amplifier/

If you can have close to the same wattage and save more by going with the Hifonics then do it? Even though the company has changed hands many times over the years it's been around for a long time and a lot of people run Hifonics. Shark is pretty new company although they appear to just be re-badged amps of other brands. Although I would personally run higher quality amps it's pretty much a toss up between the two. Figure out wattage to price and flip a coin, LMAO

I know the Youtube for the HF isn't the exact amp you're talking about though^^

FYI that Shark is VERY similar to the Audiopipe and Pure audio amps.........

Make sure you set gains correctly because neither of those i would believe would give the cleanest power and I doubt either one is very efficient for power draw to wattage output.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Personally I would just save up longer and buy better amps.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That Hifonics amp did 1467 RMS Certified. It's rated at PEAK power not RMS so its no where close to being a true 3000 watt amp. It seems to be a decent budget 1500 watt amp but two of them would be needed to get close to 3000 RMS and even then its just getting close and two would cost most than the amp that I mentioned that did 3930 RMS Certified.

The Shark amp is a good bit stronger amp doing right under 2400 RMS Certified but still I wouldn't call it a 3000 watt amp.

If you had to pick between the two I would go with the Shark amp for sure especially if it's still 20% off at droppinghzcaraudio. If you want a true 3000 RMS or more I would think about saving up another 100$ and get something like the one I listed. It's 10% off so 430-440$ and blows away the amps listed. 3930 RMS Certified at 13.95v

Yes I know it's over the budget but if you're looking for a true 3000 watts and not just something advertising peak numbers...

That Hifonics amp did 1467 RMS Certified. It's rated at PEAK power not RMS so its no where close to being a true 3000 watt amp. It seems to be a decent budget 1500 watt amp but two of them would be needed to get close to 3000 RMS and even then its just getting close and two would cost most than the amp that I mentioned that did 3930 RMS Certified.

The Shark amp is a good bit stronger amp doing right under 2400 RMS Certified but still I wouldn't call it a 3000 watt amp.

If you had to pick between the two I would go with the Shark amp for sure especially if it's still 20% off at droppinghzcaraudio. If you want a true 3000 RMS or more I would think about saving up another 100$ and get something like the one I listed. It's 10% off so 430-440$ and blows away the amps listed. 3930 RMS Certified at 13.95v

Yes I know it's over the budget but if you're looking for a true 3000 watts and not just something advertising peak numbers...

Might work if he's running at 0.5 ohms but in that video at 1 ohm it did 1920 watts same test (certified) so really gotta drop it down to get power, it is rated at 0.5 ohms though so...

1205 watts 2 ohm certified test

681 watts 4 ohm certified test

OP what voice coil configuration are your subs?

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Thats certainly true. I was just thinking about amps that will do a true 3000 watts certified and not really considering that he already has the subs and needs an amp that matches them. I don't even know what those subs are rated for or will handle. I was just throwing out some ideas and brands that seem to have a good dollar per watt ratio.

Just what I've seen in the last week.

There was 3 people (on some fb groups) that jumped on the shark sale.

2 popped the first day. The 3rd is already for sale. They also said CS was HORRIBLE at repairing the boards. Just what I've seen, and something to keep in mind.

Edit. And to see that power from that Other board listed means you'd have to wire into the dirt, like .25 to see any power from it at all. Bet cone control is the shits on that thing. But.... it's your money/system.

If your cool with used amps there's a twisted 2.8k for sale on CACO right now for not that much more than your asking

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

If you are trying to get an amp for ten cents a watt its going to be hard to do. You will end up clipping your subs. I got a Lanzar Opti 40001d a while back for my pair of HDS315 and it banged them pretty good. Then I replaced it with a used FSD5000D1 and it bangs them even better and I don't smell the voice coils anymore. They can be had for around $600 used. Save a little longer and wait for a good deal on a used amp. Maybe buy a good 1.5k and save for another 1.5k to eventually run two.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived