Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Is one style of banana plugs better?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Been checking out different banana plugs and ive noticed that the expensive ones have a straight terminal and the cheap ones have the typical bulge in the middle of the terminal. Seems like the straight ones wouldnt "grab" very well and maybe cause intermittent signal issues. Any thoughts on why the straight ones are used on the expensive plugs? Here are pics of the two styles.

 

IMG_4800.PNG

IMG_4801.PNG

Posted

Try a few different ones till you find the ones you think work best for you.

Do you intend to switch speakers and or sources a lot?

I went with these and switch source units every now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7QDVRU/ref=asc_df_B00G7QDVRU5156893/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00G7QDVRU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194017009123&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12257950877414280867&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019544&hvtargid=pla-314667884629

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

The straight ones are still sprung.  The diameter is probably a bit larger than required and the zig zag line is the split in the spring.  When you insert them, the diameter is forced closed and the metal pushes outward to hold it in place.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Posted

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted
11 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

The straight ones are still sprung.  The diameter is probably a bit larger than required and the zig zag line is the split in the spring.  When you insert them, the diameter is forced closed and the metal pushes outward to hold it in place.

Oh ok, that makes sense. They just seemed really narrow already in the pics. 

Posted

I have the first ones you posted. You out the wire through gold it back and screw the cap on. It's a good clip, and the connection is really secure. I ordered them from amazon. I really wanted a terminal that I could solder on l, but I was never able to find one. 

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

Posted
11 hours ago, Soccerballzs said:

Yah i seen some on crutchfield but theyre already on wire, thats the straight ones in the pic. Have u tried using the straight terminal style banana plugs? I was also looking at furez banana plugs, high quality metals with those too. 

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Furez-TSTWP30Ag-Silver-Plated-Copper-Banana-Plug-Connectors-Pair-FZTSTWP30Ag.htm

Posted
3 minutes ago, baron_of_bass said:

I have the first ones you posted. You out the wire through gold it back and screw the cap on. It's a good clip, and the connection is really secure. I ordered them from amazon. I really wanted a terminal that I could solder on l, but I was never able to find one. 

That link i just posted has some that are solder/crimpable. 

Posted
13 hours ago, Skullz said:

Try a few different ones till you find the ones you think work best for you.

Do you intend to switch speakers and or sources a lot?

I went with these and switch source units every now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7QDVRU/ref=asc_df_B00G7QDVRU5156893/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00G7QDVRU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194017009123&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12257950877414280867&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019544&hvtargid=pla-314667884629

No i dont plan on doing that. It would only be to plug speaker wire  into my sub amps. The amps use a 5way binding post and it was suggested by manufacturer to use bananaplugs.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1187 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...