Second Skin Audio

Passive Radiators or External Ports?

Markous

New year, new idea time!

This is my setup as it sits in my truck now, a SI HST-15 mkII in 4 cubes sealed.

IMG_1485_zpsv5v0ablv.jpg

I have a couple of different idea's rattling around upstairs right now and i thought i would share them with the SMD crowd and see what you folks think.

1) Building a new enclosure (for more height i would need) and getting a couple of PSI PR's and having a setup like Steve's shop towers, possibly getting them made with Sundown frames (told this was possible by PSI) and inverting them for a frankenstein neck bolt kind of look and in turn making tuning a whole lot easier!

or

2) Possibly modifying the existing box to include a couple of external ports, looking something like this when viewed from above (no need to compliment my awesome ms paint skills, LOL!)

Untitled1_zpsmwdz8qi0.jpg

The PR's would be alot "cleaner" looking (mounted normally) but i think the external port idea would get some cool re-actions too.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Man, @jnasty has a cool ass build with PRs...

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Steve's setup planted the seed & jnasty's is watering it.

Fuck . . . . does that ever sound lame.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

Both your ideas sound pretty cool to me.  I'm partial to PRs.

Keep in mind you are going to want at least 60 sq in of port area if you decide to go with the external port idea.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So what do people use for calculations for PRs? I know you are supposed to go larger but as far as weight for them whats the calculation for that? PSI and others can recommend the correct weight but I am wondering what they use. 

I am biased to PRs just because I think they're cool but don't know much about them. 

It is my understanding that you're supposed to use the recommended ported enclosure box size taking into account both the displacement of the subwoofer(s) and passives, for me it's just a touch over half a cube if i go that way. I've emailed PSI and inquired about the negative displacement of the 15's i intend to use if i invert them.

I am glad to see that PSI is now offering a high excursion model of passive radiator to match up better to the higher excursion of big surround subs like mine.

If i do go the PR route i will be sure to share all the info i gather and learn along the way.

It seems that i will have an issue trying to achieve 68 inches of port area by using two ports, using that number as it is suggest by Sundown for their 15 Zv5 (basing this on the physical similarities between the SI and it)

Two 6" yields an area of just over 56" and 8's would make for just over a 100" not sure if anyone makes  7" (nearly 77" area, trippy!) as it seems like an odd number (is that an unintentional math joke?) for tube sizing.

Bit of a goldilocks situation there.

As of now i'm thinking the passive route is the way to go, but i'm still at the point where i'm willing to consider idea's & suggestions that support the ported way as i think that would be a unique and cool looking design.

Why can't you just make the box larger and do an internal slot port? from the way you have the external ports in the drawing above it looks as though you have room to make the box deeper.

Archived