Sonic Electronix

Can't seal my windshield

To start, I couldn't figure out if this was the best place for this thread, but it's what I came up with. If not, let me know for future reference. I have my dad's old '91 Isuzu PUP with a wall of 15's, and the thing freaking bumps. It's no serious competition set up, but it's not your normal teenagers 2 blown 12's on 300 watts. Anyways, my windshield flexes a decent amount, and I have a hard time keeping the weather stripping on. I tried new weather stripping, super glue, gorilla glue, 3M, and some other stuff. I'm pretty much down to deciding I'll just duct tape over the top of my windshield, because no matter what I do, it will always leak. If it's anything more than a light sprinkle, I'll come back to a soaked interior, and that's not something I enjoy around my wiring. So, what have you guys found that works well for sealing a windshield? Thanks in advance, guys.

3M Windshield sealant.  If your roof is flexing at the pinch seam you may need a wood roof or a pole to support it, keeping your windshield from flexing.

Before you try the 3M sealant, you need to clean off absolutely ALL the shit you've added.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

51 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

3M Windshield sealant.  If your roof is flexing at the pinch seam you may need a wood roof or a pole to support it, keeping your windshield from flexing.

Before you try the 3M sealant, you need to clean off absolutely ALL the shit you've added.

x2. My cousin broke one of his windows when he elbowed it with his sub box, used this shit and it was so nice and strong. I think that was before he rolled it in a ditch and only broke the side mirrors. lmao 

It's possible your truck's windshield isn't held in by urethane. There are vehicles out there that are held in by thick butyl rope (and they suck to replace the glass...ask me how I know). If that's the case, there's a chance nothing will work except replacing the windshield since old butyl won't like to bond to anything; but that would definitely fix the problem. 

If it's urethane, your best bet is to stop by a glass shop and see if they can find/fix the problem. Every leak is different (ie. if there's rust involved, if it's too big to repair, etc.) most glass shops won't give a warranty on that kind of work because they can't tell you 100% if it's fixed....but because of that, they'll usually do it cheap. It will at least save you from trying to do it yourself and spending cash on urethane. WalledSonic is right, all the stuff that's in there needs to be cleared out.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

5 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

I bought and tried the 3M windshield sealant. My dad picked up some the rubber for the top of the windshield, we spent 20 minutes cleaning and gutting the old bonding that was in there, spread the 3M and the new rubber. It didn't do jack. 3M was the first stuff we tried. I've considered taking it to a glass shop, but I called all of them within an hour radius and they said they would not replace the stripping, only the entire windshield, and I don't wanna drop $150 on the new windshield, I'd rather just duct tape it, honestly. 

5 hours ago, LOWrider said:

I bought and tried the 3M windshield sealant. My dad picked up some the rubber for the top of the windshield, we spent 20 minutes cleaning and gutting the old bonding that was in there, spread the 3M and the new rubber. It didn't do jack. 3M was the first stuff we tried. I've considered taking it to a glass shop, but I called all of them within an hour radius and they said they would not replace the stripping, only the entire windshield, and I don't wanna drop $150 on the new windshield, I'd rather just duct tape it, honestly. 

Good luck with your duct tape. You want to buy a 5000W amp to blow your subs but wont spend 150 on a windshield? You wont last long in this hobby. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

17 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

Good luck with your duct tape. You want to buy a 5000W amp to blow your subs but wont spend 150 on a windshield? You wont last long in this hobby. 

Love the snarky tone tacked on, it's great. I would rather spend money on the "necessities" such as upgrading amps and subs rather than inconveniences, such as a leaky windshield. Granted, if I were trying to get 3 builds going, no, I would not last long. But I'm not looking to compete or get more than just a really nice daily. I really only get crazy with it when I get to my highschool or college and surprise my peers, specifically so I can stay in the hobby without going broke. -- As I look back at your response, I see you mentioned I said to blow my subs. I wasn't being serious, it was more so me saying it's gonna happen sooner or later, and that I wanted a 5k, that's all.

7 hours ago, Skullz said:

Hell, by the time you get done spending a shit ton of money on repairs, you could have paid to have it done right once.

That's true, and being straight with you, day one of the leakage I turned to my dad and said "New windshield. I don't want to repair it." Fact of the matter is, he wouldn't let me do that until we tried all of the options. I just figured I'd see what other people came up with instead of just buying 100 types of glue and hoping for the best.

Archived