Sonic Electronix

What brand Brake Pads for Heavy Car Audio Cars?

I'm doing my first brake pad change on my 1999 Camry this Summer and was thinking about using nicer brake pads. What brand of brake pads are people with heavy car audio equipment using?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

57 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

I'm doing my first brake pad change on my 1999 Camry this Summer and was thinking about using nicer brake pads. What brand of brake pads are people with heavy car audio equipment using?

You should be remachining ("turning") or replacing your rotors when you do a pad swap.

Look into big brake kit upgrades.  My Chevy Sonic has Camaro SS front discs/calipers and Chevy HHR SS rear discs/calipers.  Thing stops better than it did stock... even with 650 pounds of audio equipment.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

9 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

You should be remachining ("turning") or replacing your rotors when you do a pad swap.

Look into big brake kit upgrades.  My Chevy Sonic has Camaro SS front discs/calipers and Chevy HHR SS rear discs/calipers.  Thing stops better than it did stock... even with 650 pounds of audio equipment.

Hmm. I've been getting my brakes changes at the mechanic shops in the past. I wonder if those guys remachined my rotor plates after each brake pad change.

Doing the front brakes and rotor swap seems easy but I was watching YouTube and saw that the rear brake system seems a bit more confusing with its various little brackets and what not. Would it be a bad idea to just do the front brake and rotors and not do anything to the rear?

Holy smokes there are so many different type of kits
https://www.carid.com/1999-toyota-camry-brakes/?filter=1&sub-model[ourSubModelName][]=LE

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

10 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

You know big brake kits dont make your car stop any faster right?

all bigger brakes do is dissipate heat faster to help control brake fade, which is only usefull if you are pushing your stock brakes to their thermal limit from heavy constant braking, thats it, there is no added stoping power from the extra surface area.

The brake material itself is where you will get the biggest difference.

The stiffness of the caliper material itself also plays a big role in the stopping power, more so thatn the surface area does.

I'd find some stock size slotted rotors and good pads.

I run ebc redstuff pads with excellent results.

A wider tire will help you with stopping a lot more than bigger breaks will in a street driving application.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

13 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

You know big brake kits dont make your car stop any faster right?

all bigger brakes do is dissipate heat faster to help control brake fade, which is only usefull if you are pushing your stock brakes to their thermal limit from heavy constant braking, thats it, there is no added stoping power from the extra surface area.

The brake material itself is where you will get the biggest difference.

The stiffness of the caliper material itself also plays a big role in the stopping power, more so thatn the surface area does.

I'd find some stock size slotted rotors and good pads.

I run ebc redstuff pads with excellent results.

A wider tire will help you with stopping a lot more than bigger breaks will in a street driving application.

OK, sure.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Upgrade rotors and get the best pads. And think about a fluid flush. Mine was black in my 03 Lancer, simple to flush too. Youtube has it all.

Bought slotted/drilled rotor for $90.00 and good pads for $50. Stops was better than stock.

Decreased stopping distance Broke.  Especially if you have a shitty little sonic with undersized brakes, like I do.  Brakes faded before a single hard stop from 60-0.  Now they dont fade, and the ceramic pads help tremendously with bite.  So maybe youre right, it doesnt stop FASTER, it stops in less distance.

IG @walledsonic

EBC Pads and Rotors as a first choice.

Hawks Pads and Rotors as a second choice.

I got the EBC stage 5 Rotors and yellow stuff pads and they stop like nothing else i have ever used before, these things stop amazingly quick, i will never use anything but ebc pads and rotors anymore. These were not an increase in size, but the same stock size used rotors.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

If it works cool. I used a Gatorade bottle & clear hose. And manually pumped the brakes to flush system. Worked great.

Archived