Second Skin Audio

Where to buy wood for sub enclosure

I've got the designs for my first box and I don't know what would be the best wood to buy and where. I need at least a 4 x 8 x 3/4 sheet but open to the type. 

My local Home Depot has 7 ply birch and mdf but I am leaning more towards birch as its only a little more expensive and stronger/lighter.

Is there anywhere I could be getting a better deal/quality like at a lumber yard? 

Any opinions would be appreciated

Thats not real birch, nor do most "big box stores" such as home depot or lowes stock quality 13 ply baltic birch.

Real birch is 2.5 to 3 times the price of MDF for a 4 by 8 sheet, and just a few pounds lighter in weight (so 87 lbs vs 90lbs that the MDF weighs on average).

If going that fake birch veneer route you might as well just get plywood, because thats what your buying minus the the very thin veneer that makes it look better than it really is.

Sorry focus, but that shitty american 5ply birch is still better than mdf

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

19 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Thats not real birch, nor do most "big box stores" such as home depot or lowes stock quality 13 ply baltic birch.

Real birch is 2.5 to 3 times the price of MDF for a 4 by 8 sheet, and just a few pounds lighter in weight (so 87 lbs vs 90lbs that the MDF weighs on average).

If going that fake birch veneer route you might as well just get plywood, because thats what your buying minus the the very thin veneer that makes it look better than it really is.

Where can I get proper 13 ply birch then? Or another alternative that is better than what HD or Lowes carries

37 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Where can I get proper 13 ply birch then? Or another alternative that is better than what HD or Lowes carries

You will need to go to an actual plywood/hardwood store.  

Another option than less expensive than baltic birch would be to get AraucoPly.  Its a 7-ply pine plywood that works well for sub boxes. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Manard's is a chain that sometimes stocks Baltic Birch. Depends on location, but you can call and check.

Go to Google Maps... search 'specialty wood', 'hardwood', etc to find local supplier, many times they're local mom & pop shops.

I found Mason's Mill here in Houston.  Local shop, not a chain. They import all types of cool shit.  Teak and fancy wood, hardwoods, and a mad assortment of plywoods.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived