Battery or alternator?

Ok so for past year everything has been solid working perfectly. Past month my volt gauge has been dropping when bass hits. Now my volt goes crazy when music is loud and then music shuts off. Voltage is all over the place from 14.2 to 15.1 to 13 to 12. Just everwhere. This is all happening when bass is hitting. Is my battery not keeping up or my alternator is gone or going?

3 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Could be an issue with the alt failing under load. Take it to an automotive store and have them test it.

Wurd... load test both, .. alt and bat.  While your there ...

What is the lowest voltage you've seen? 12v shouldnt throw anything into protect. It's all 12v gear after all. 

Saw volts down to the 11's. Might be battery. I wasnt haveing this issue. Whole month problem feel. Nothing lower then 13.2. Started about a month ago. But now its hitting the 11's

Stereo consist of 2200 watts rms. All 1/0 wire under hood, 200amp alternator and 10 fared nvx cap. One interstate heavy duty battery under hood. 

Make sure belt isn’t slipping also , check tensioner and pullies. I’ve seen slipping belts cause spikes in voltage .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Also check all your connections, from the battery all the way back to the amp.

If after you check all connections and are confident you have no belt slip, then check the alt out.

Check your batteries resting voltage first thing in the morning before you start your car, to rule the possibility out it is your battery.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived