Sonic Electronix

Help needed: Subwoofer causes all speakers to crackle

Hi guys, so I've had this sub-woofer in my SUV for over a year now.

The other day it started to make a crackling/static noise in the whole audio system. All the door and dash speakers are heavily effected, its only when the bass hits. When i go into the stereo settings and turn off the subwoofer everything works fine. I've completely rewired the system, everything has a clean connection.

Any ideas? Or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Either the internal amp or external amp has had something break loose causing the problem, you can try another amp or H/U to see if anything changes. There are not many things that can cause it to start to crackle, unless something inside has broken loose.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Update:

I took the amp out and checked the internal fuses. One of them was blown, i replaced it, reinstalled it and as soon i powered it up, it blew the same fuse again immediately. 

Everything is wired up the way it should be.

Is this old amp just dying? 

Yah, definitely sad to see a classic like that go. That model was introduced in 1985, over 3 decades of use. Perfect sound quality up until the day it died with no issue whatsoever during that time.

I got a few more things i'm gonna try. Hate to just throw her out. 

Thank you for finding a good replacement, i'll be ordering that if i cant resurrect it.

Thank you all!

Archived