Sonic Electronix

Electrical fire / Trouble shooting and repair

Hello I have a Sundown saz-1500 amp and Fi Q 18

i have had trouble with my sub cutting in and out, so I disabled my subwoofer on my H/U until I had time to dig around.

well this morning I heard electrical popping back by my amp, there was smoke and a small fire right on the power wire inlet on the side of my amp 

I disconnected the battery and Un hooked my amp and taped the ends up real good 

I know my amp is most likely toast and will need repair but curious if the subwoofer would have been damaged even though there was no audio being sent to the sub at the time of the incident?

i have not checked my fuses but I feel they did not pop since the the wires by the amp were still hot when all took place, I will further investigate when I have time off work

any ways to find out what all is damaged? 

Any advice would be awesome 

I will have to figure out how to test this as you guys are talking about, I know I can get a meter just never tested one before ( thank you and well noted) 

Any ideas what caused the incident right at the amp when I had 2 fuses inline that were not popped?? 

Im not in a hurry to do anything just trying to find out what happens 

Loose connections cause wiring to overheat got any pics of the burnt wiring.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

What size fuse were you using ? What size wire ? Pics would help determine any issues so you can ride out and bass out safely man. 

Also, a multimeter would allow you to figure out if the voice coils still show the right impedance. Here’s a video that might help you learn how to do it: 

3 hours ago, Audio_Noob said:

I will have to figure out how to test this as you guys are talking about, I know I can get a meter just never tested one before ( thank you and well noted) 

Any ideas what caused the incident right at the amp when I had 2 fuses inline that were not popped?? 

Im not in a hurry to do anything just trying to find out what happens 

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

What size fuse were you using ? What size wire ? Pics would help determine any issues so you can ride out and bass out safely man. 

Also, a multimeter would allow you to figure out if the voice coils still show the right impedance. Here’s a video that might help you learn how to do it: 

Hey man thank you so much!! I just emailed dB-r about the amp an I need pics for him I will upload them tomorrow 

it’s 0ga with 2 300amp anl fuses (1 under hood 1 by amp) 

2 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Loose connections cause wiring to overheat got any pics of the burnt wiring.

I feel like this may have been likely due to not checking my wiring very often after I installed , an it was in a restricted space 

Did this happen while playing? While driving? On turn on?

Was the fire internal or external?

45 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Did this happen while playing? While driving? On turn on?

Was the fire internal or external?

I was driving into work no subwoofer playing just my speakers an h/u in very low volume 

looked mostly external around the power terminal, but when I removed the amp from where it was secured down were black marks that were in the shape of the vents in the bottom

Archived