Jump to content

proper wattage for running components active


Toomanyhobbiesjosh

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am installing type r alpine 6.5” components in my front doors and running dsp and full active. Sound deadening both inner outer, closing all openings off. Right now I am trying to choose the amps and my question is what wattage do I send to the tweeter on full active? Type r Rms rating is 100watts for the combo going thru the passive crossover, so I am planning on 100 watts to the 6.5” and I am stuck on what to do for tweeter. Have searched specs several times and also reviewed archived threads with no success. This is my first full active/dsp set up and it’s in kind of a hobby vehicle that’s not my daily driver so not going crazy with 1000$ plus mids in case I screw it up. 
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Posted
43 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

In active with those, i don't think id go beyond 50w with the tweets or 150w per mid, you might need to dial down the tweets depending on your taste.

Not totally true. Ot all depends how you tune the amp    there are guys which I know who are running a zapco 150.6  bridged on a set of tweeters.  Another is running a set of tweeters off of a tru tech billet 4 bridged which is 300 watts.  It's just all on how you set the gain.  Usually in that case -10db will work awesome 

Posted

I figured the tweets were gonna have to be dialed back. I have an alpine pdx 4.150(150 watts x 4 at 4 ohm) I was thinking of using, but seems like way too much for tweets. My only other amp is a Fosgate t400-2 (2 x 120 watts at 4 ohm). Either amp is too big for the tweets. Time to go hunting for a tiny 2 channel

Posted
36 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

Not totally true. Ot all depends how you tune the amp    there are guys which I know who are running a zapco 150.6  bridged on a set of tweeters.  Another is running a set of tweeters off of a tru tech billet 4 bridged which is 300 watts.  It's just all on how you set the gain.  Usually in that case -10db will work awesome 

Well, i cant argue that... I run 800rms to a pair of 7" mids and 300 rms to a pair of 1" tweets going for years without issue so yeah, with common sense it will work but i dont think the op wants to go overkill with a pair of 6" type r's.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Toomanyhobbiesjosh said:

I figured the tweets were gonna have to be dialed back. I have an alpine pdx 4.150(150 watts x 4 at 4 ohm) I was thinking of using, but seems like way too much for tweets. My only other amp is a Fosgate t400-2 (2 x 120 watts at 4 ohm). Either amp is too big for the tweets. Time to go hunting for a tiny 2 channel

Like tonasty pointed out, you could get away with the alpine or rf power for your tweets, of course the gains would need to be set to prevent driver fatigue with the tweets.

Posted

All good advice. And if you don't use the T400-2 i will take it! lol

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I’ve always been one to run the same amount of power to each driver. Hence running 150w per channel to my active 2 way setup. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I'm running 100 watts to my tweets and 100 watts to my midbass. I just turn the Tweeter level on head unit down to get them into balance.

 

A very very knowledgeable man told me about this. The tweeters get a bit if dynamic headroom this way too

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1322 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...