Second Skin Audio

Help me decide since I have size restraints

japjrthib

So I’m in the finishing stages of my build. Went get measurements taken today for my sub box for behind the 3rd row in my 2011 Tahoe. Original plan was for 2 sundown SA12’s, but it’s looking like the box will be on the small end of sundowns recommendations, which is 1.5 to 2 cubes net per sub. I’ll probably be around 1.6 cubes per sub. Wouldn’t I be better off with 2 cubes with the 12’s?

I’m now wondering if I’ll be better off going with 2 Sa10’s since the box will be on the small side for the 12’s. What’s y’all input on this? I listen to mostly rap and love hitting the LOWS, but I am more so going for an SQL build this go around. I’ll be pushing these at 1ohm with a sundown sae-2000d. Box will be tuned to 33hrtz.

subs haven’t been purchased yet, and the box construction will go underway this week. 

Update: so after further investigation I see that the new version 2 10’s say 1 cube per. 

so I’m thinking I can go with 3 10’s ported and be at 1 cube per with the space I have. This is what the site says “

BOX SUGGESTIONS:
SA-10 v.2 : SEALED : NOT SUGGESTED PORTED : 1.0 ft^3 tuned to 35 Hz // F3 of ~30 Hz

SA-12 v.2 : SEALED : 0.75 ft^3 // F3 of ~54 Hz PORTED : 1.75 ft^3 tuned to 35 Hz // F3 of ~29 Hz 

What should I do? I have like 3.2 net

I am sure a box guru will chime in soon. Here's my thought from my limited experience. Stay away from 3 subs due to impedance matching.  Ported will have more output than sealed. Sealed can sound good though as well.

I would try to run the two 12's in a suv of that size. I run two 10's in a small car on 2K firing into the cab  and the 10's hit low and hard. They are SQ HDS 3 10's so the SQ isn't there without a shit ton of tuning but the subs are more for spl imo.

You could invert the subs for more room in the enclosure?  

1 hour ago, CstrokerV said:

Need more info is that gross or net is that just box size and no displacement ?...

The box is 4 cubes before sub displacement. The 12’s are .14 each and the 10’s are .10 each....

im basically just wondering if the 2 12’s will sound better in a box on the small side of the recommendation, or 3 10’s in a box on the large side of the recommendation. 

The 2000.D clamps at like 2300 at 1ohm. 2 12’s will give me 1 Ohm with 1k plus per sub; 3 10’s will give me 1.3 ohms with roughly 600 per sub....

6 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

I am sure a box guru will chime in soon. Here's my thought from my limited experience. Stay away from 3 subs due to impedance matching.  Ported will have more output than sealed. Sealed can sound good though as well.

I would try to run the two 12's in a suv of that size. I run two 10's in a small car on 2K firing into the cab  and the 10's hit low and hard. They are SQ HDS 3 10's so the SQ isn't there without a shit ton of tuning but the subs are more for spl imo.

You could invert the subs for more room in the enclosure?  

I can’t invert the subs. I’m very limited on space back there. 
I ran 3 of these SA 12’s in my avalanche and I thought they sounded great. A lot of people say they aren’t SQ subs and I get that but I thought they sounded good. 

what are some good SQ subs I could look into that are 1k rms or so? 

Archived