Sonic Electronix

Will this melt my voice coil?

Guest meow meow

I have a brand new Fi BTL NEO 15. I am building an enclosure that was designed by an engineer. Am I going to melt my dual 20hm voice coil with a Sundown Audio SALT-8 amplifier? The amp is under-rated and has dyno'd at 11k+. I just need to keep levels down, correct?

OR: Am I wasting money at a dramatic rate by purchasing so much more than the driver can handle mechanically? Would saving a thousand dollars and stepping down to a 5k be more thrifty and appropriate?

I have enough lithium and alternator to hang with 6 15's, so we don't need to go there.

Thanks!

Are you asking a question of curiosity, window shopping, or is this genuine?

Guest meow meow

100% genuine. I'm about to pull the trigger on the pre-order. The only reason for slight hesitation is that I'm not very experienced, and tech has come a long way since my last build in 2000. The amp is $2100. If I total everything up, the sub with supporting components alone will have cost me approximately $5,000.

This is real. It's just been a while for me. I was hoping anyone with Fi Car Audio specific experience would chime in with at least a clamping power they start to smell coil at.

Guest meow meow
38 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

enough alt and lith to handle 6 15s..... interested in running a single 15....

That is correct. I have a 270 amp DC Power Inc. alt that I installed on my 2015 VQ35DE motor I have 120ah of Yinlong LTO and all supporting cable and under hood battery delete components. This is a legitimate request for info.

I guess I should have asked a simpler question: At what point do Fi owners begin to experience thermomechanical effects?

Guest meow meow

Oh and the $5k figure is conservative, considering I only paid $535 for my LTO cells. Market retail for the equivalent would be north of $1500, yet again conservative. My Jimsmachineworx bill just for the hardware to assemble the battery and make all 1/0 connections was around $900.

So market retail is probably around $3k just for energy storage. If I can save a grand here and a grand there on things that I'm not experienced enough to know or smart enough to properly calculate, I'm all for it.

Why would you waste the money if you aren’t going to upgrade past one btl  you can get a sundown Sbl 5k for like 600 bucks... in a few months even then 5k watts is an awful lot for a 2500 watt subwoofer especially since we don’t know the specs of the box 

Guest meow meow
1 minute ago, CstrokerV said:

Why would you waste the money if you aren’t going to upgrade past one btl  you can get a sundown Sbl 5k for like 600 bucks... in a few months even then 5k watts is an awful lot for. 2500 watt subwoofer especially since we don’t know the specs of the box

I was open for expansion, I just don't have any near term future plans to do so. I'm not really concerned about the cost so much as I am wasting it. It would be cool to throw an M156 AMG motor in an old pickup truck, and I would do it, but If I'm going to see similar results with a built 350, I'd lean that direction right now.

I am performance driven with this build, but it is unnecessary to, and I am not willing to sacrifice performance for cost. If there is life in a BTL NEO after 5kW, I want to have it on tap without running my system hot into the ground. I'm overbuilding for longevity as well.

Guest meow meow

I guess it was just a dumb question. I'll keep the levels down and put the SALT-8 on it. I put together an electrical diagnostic system that can measure and display all the electrical data points I want in real time, including, among other things, voice coil temp with an IR sensor, and wattage between amp and sub, or as you guys say "clamped" power. I can modulate input levels to zero if I want and I'll just have fun experimenting with it.

Mods, feel free to delete the thread.

Thanks.

Archived