Upgraded system and wiring now have engine whine

Hi guys this might be a tad long but I’ll drop the summary here, I’ve got an 02 F150 supercrew. I had an el cheapo head unit (one of the Chinese amazon ones that I need to upgrade) two kicker 6x8’s in the front doors, a Kenwood excelon 500.1, two ten inch JL’s and a basic wiring kit. 

I needed to swap out my radiator and fan clutch so I decided to upgrade (and yes I u it se that term loosely, not trying to spend a ton of $) my system and do the Big 3. For the big three I got legit ofc 0 gauge wire and all of the connections are tight, and I used my drummel tool and wire brush attachment to get fresh bare metal. 

then I added two more 6x8’s for the rear doors and I added an Autotek (yes I know) 4 channel amp to run the four 6x8’s. 

I also added a capacitor. 

but I know have pretty bad engine whine. 

what should I check first?  Could it be that I used the capacitor as a make shift fuse block. As in I ran the power wire from the battery to the capacitor and from the same positive post on the capacitor I ran two power wires to the two amps. 

I grounded the capacitor and two amps to their own ground. They don’t share one. 

what’s odd is it seems like there is way more of the whine coming from the 6x8’s in the rear doors than the 6x8’s in the front doors. They are all 4 ohms and I don’t have them bridged or wired down to two ohms or anything like that. They are different brands but I doubt that’s it.....right?  

sorry if this seems all over the place. I don’t know a ton about this stuff. Just enough to be dangerous lol. 

oh, and I don’t think it’s the other wires I pulled the entire interior out to lay down sound deafening do when I put the carpet back I made sure the rca’s and speaker wires and power wires were apart. 

oh, I also added a bass knob. It only controls the kenwood bass amp but I does seem like the 6x8’s get a tad louder when I turn the bass knob down and vice verse when I turn the bass knob up. 

8 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

turn everything off and unplug the RCAs from the 6x8 amp and then turn it back on. Does the whine go away?

Yeah I would tend to check the RCA's too first. You also might want to power down then swap them and see if the louder whine jumps to the other set of speakers.

Archived