Bass blockers on tweeters

Country

18 minutes ago, Country said:

If I set my hpf on my crossover to the frequency of the tweeter do I still need to use the bass blocker just running tweets on the amp

As long as you set the frequencies correctly then you are fine. But tweeters have a wide range of high frequencies so there’s room for error. I’d get some 3.3 microfarad 100 volt non polarized capacitors (bass blockers) and set the hpf. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Blockers have a place.

I used to use then in high school when I always ran mids And highs on deck

I'd get like a 100 up on all 6x9s and up fronts (usually 4x6 or 5¼) never used a tweeter specific cap. But they could be used in full active systems to protect from turn on pop. Very rare these days.

17 hours ago, Country said:

If I set my hpf on my crossover to the frequency of the tweeter do I still need to use the bass blocker just running tweets on the amp

I wouldn't. I don't see the point. If you crossover the tweeter at 3.5khz on the crossover, what's the point of using a passive crossover that is going to waste some of your amplifier power?

6 hours ago, blammo585 said:

I wouldn't. I don't see the point. If you crossover the tweeter at 3.5khz on the crossover, what's the point of using a passive crossover that is going to waste some of your amplifier power?

If you read what he posted then you will see that he said if he “set the hpf on the crossover to the frequcy of the tweeter”. Meaning that he has an active crossover or is doing it through an amp or head unit, which both have crossovers. You can’t set the frequency on a passive crossover. It’s smarted time use bass blocker because there’s always room for error when it comes to that unless he has the proper tools and readings and know how. Better safe than sorry. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, Country said:

Yes. Your amp filter can fail at any time.  So protect the tweeters with bass blockers.

Archived