Sundown Audio

Cost per watt, why is this ???

Fish Chris

Why do I see several amplifier companies selling a 2500 wt amplifier, for $300-400,, then the same company sells a 4500 wt amp for $899 ? 

Shouldn't the $ per watt go down ? I mean, wtf.... Most amps can be strapped. So why would I pay $900 for a 4500 wt amp, when I could get two 2500 wt amps for $700-800, and strap them for 5000 wts, and get more watts, for fewer $ ?

And btw, I've seen this same situation with at least 3 different amp companies....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:13 PM, Fish Chris said:

Why do I see several amplifier companies selling a 2500 wt amplifier, for $300-400,, then the same company sells a 4500 wt amp for $899 ? 

Shouldn't the $ per watt go down ? I mean, wtf.... Most amps can be strapped. So why would I pay $900 for a 4500 wt amp, when I could get two 2500 wt amps for $700-800, and strap them for 5000 wts, and get more watts, for fewer $ ?

And btw, I've seen this same situation with at least 3 different amp companies....

. Sounds like the difference between Chinese,Korean and Brazilian boards being used in their amps. I'd almost guarantee the 4500 for 899 was a Korean board..It's all personal preference but typically Korean boards will take a beating the best and keep on getting down. 

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Okay. I guess that's possible. I know of at least a couple different amplifier companies that use boards from both china and korea. And I think it would be likely that the boards made on the highest numbers (1500-2500 at models) would be made in china, whereas the boards made on much smaller numbers might be made in korea.

Sounds logical.

2 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Okay. I guess that's possible. I know of at least a couple different amplifier companies that use boards from both china and korea. And I think it would be likely that the boards made on the highest numbers (1500-2500 at models) would be made in china, whereas the boards made on much smaller numbers might be made in korea.

Sounds logical.

Size of the board isn't really location dependent as much as the price is that's reflected. I know wolfram and Deafbonce have Korean and Chinese and Brazilian as well 

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Yep, like Smoke said, Korean/Chinese/Brazilian (style) boards. Full Bridge are "Brazilian style" after being made popular by Taramps/Sound Digital (same company pretty much IIRC). 

Most companies that are putting out true high wattage amps are using Korean boards. Wolfram has the C2400 which is a great Chinese board for cheap, about $250. They have he W/AW series amps which are Korean, 3K and 4.5K versions for about $600-800. Both series being half bridge. Then they have the O Series which are Full Bridge and are doing 8000w for like $600. Full Bridge tend to be more compact in size and a lot of power for cheap. Sundown also has their SFB line which is Full Bridge, I think the Crescendo Symphony are also Full Bridge though they are Korean boards.  

I've had an MD3K and MD5K from Taramps, I switched to a Wolfram 3K and even on less power it was louder, deeper and sounded a lot better. Full Bridge get loud but Half Bridge is where the quality is at sound wise (IMO) and in reliability. Also, those more compact amps tend to have really loud fans whereas Korean boards are usually dead silent. 

You can Google "Half Bridge vs Full Bridge" and find discussions on it. 

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

On 10/24/2020 at 11:08 AM, Baydestrian said:

Yep, like Smoke said, Korean/Chinese/Brazilian (style) boards. Full Bridge are "Brazilian style" after being made popular by Taramps/Sound Digital (same company pretty much IIRC). 

Most companies that are putting out true high wattage amps are using Korean boards. Wolfram has the C2400 which is a great Chinese board for cheap, about $250. They have he W/AW series amps which are Korean, 3K and 4.5K versions for about $600-800. Both series being half bridge. Then they have the O Series which are Full Bridge and are doing 8000w for like $600. Full Bridge tend to be more compact in size and a lot of power for cheap. Sundown also has their SFB line which is Full Bridge, I think the Crescendo Symphony are also Full Bridge though they are Korean boards.  

I've had an MD3K and MD5K from Taramps, I switched to a Wolfram 3K and even on less power it was louder, deeper and sounded a lot better. Full Bridge get loud but Half Bridge is where the quality is at sound wise (IMO) and in reliability. Also, those more compact amps tend to have really loud fans whereas Korean boards are usually dead silent. 

You can Google "Half Bridge vs Full Bridge" and find discussions on it. 

Excellent. I will totally look into this :) TY.

PS, My Wolfram 2400.1 pumps the shit out my Skar 18" ZVX ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived