Sundown Audio

Dc 1.2k goes into protect mode

donberto

I have a 1.2k that goes into protect mode. If you turn the key on, it works, once you start the truck it goes into protect mode. Nothing is hooked to the amp, no speakers, no RCAS. Remote and power are at 14.3 to 14.5. We even took it out and put it into a different vehicle, same shit. I took it to a very well respected electronics repair shop, they hooked it up on their bench, ran it over and over, cant get it to go into protect mode. Looked at boards, cant see anything that looks burnt. I am at a loss. Any ideas guys?

25 minutes ago, donberto said:

I have a 1.2k that goes into protect mode. If you turn the key on, it works, once you start the truck it goes into protect mode. Nothing is hooked to the amp, no speakers, no RCAS. Remote and power are at 14.3 to 14.5. We even took it out and put it into a different vehicle, same shit. I took it to a very well respected electronics repair shop, they hooked it up on their bench, ran it over and over, cant get it to go into protect mode. Looked at boards, cant see anything that looks burnt. I am at a loss. Any ideas guys?

How does the area you grounded it look? All the paint removed? Nice solid metal? Bolted down nice and tight? No weird welds or thin metal areas preventing the energy from getting back to the negative on the battery? Did you screw the amplifier down to the metal? Or is it on some kind of wood? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

21 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

How does the area you grounded it look? All the paint removed? Nice solid metal? Bolted down nice and tight? No weird welds or thin metal areas preventing the energy from getting back to the negative on the battery? Did you screw the amplifier down to the metal? Or is it on some kind of wood? 

Ground is good, they buffed off a large area, 1/0 wire, if i turn the key to accessory plays all day, it goes into protect when you start the truck, load or no load

1 hour ago, donberto said:

Ground is good, they buffed off a large area, 1/0 wire, if i turn the key to accessory plays all day, it goes into protect when you start the truck, load or no load

I wonder if your voltage from your alternator does some weird high voltage spike when you start it that sends it into protect. 

It also wouldn't be a bad idea just to go over all your connections with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is tight. I've heard of even loose fuses sending amplifiers into protect when they wiggle. 

Amplifiers typically go into protect when either the impedance gets too low (which shouldn't be an issue just from starting the vehicle), the voltage gets too low, the voltage gets too high, or the amplifier is defective. There could be the case that there's something loose on the board, and when the vehicle shakes, it wiggles that loose component on the board, sending it into protect. 

I asked how the amplifier was mounted because I've also seen where someone has screwed the amplifier directly to the metal, and the amp grounds itself out through the case. 

It's a hard thing to diagnose without being able to actually look at the situation, but hopefully I have you some ideas on what to check next. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

11 hours ago, donberto said:

Just connect a voltmeter at the amp terminals and see what happens when you turn on your car, voltage should be steady and in the 14-14.5V range specially if the amp is idle, see if that's the case.

Agree with the last two responses. Use a voltmeter on the amp power input terminals and see what happens when you start the car. If you don't see anything happening funny on DC, check the AC. If you have more than 0.2 VAC happening in the vehicle, it is bad power and you need to sort that. Maybe a capacitor right at the power input of the amp would help

Hmmmmm

does it go into protect when you start the truck? Or when your engage the starter?

Realistically, it's either going into low voltage protect, or high. Low from starter draw, or high from a voltage spike. I'd be more inclined to believe the former.

As others have said, dig into it with a multi meter. See what the behavior is. Little strange that the behavior persists across 2 vehicles.

Does your turn-on remain on during cranking? Usually that's supposed to turn off when the crank signal is sent (ya ever notice how your radio restarts?), then power back on. It's not uncommon to see 8-9v when the starter is engaged, which will definitely cause a low voltage protect.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, SnowDrifter said:

Hmmmmm

does it go into protect when you start the truck? Or when your engage the starter?

Realistically, it's either going into low voltage protect, or high. Low from starter draw, or high from a voltage spike. I'd be more inclined to believe the former.

As others have said, dig into it with a multi meter. See what the behavior is. Little strange that the behavior persists across 2 vehicles.

Does your turn-on remain on during cranking? Usually that's supposed to turn off when the crank signal is sent (ya ever notice how your radio restarts?), then power back on. It's not uncommon to see 8-9v when the starter is engaged, which will definitely cause a low voltage protect.

Archived