Second Skin Audio

It's Offical, I'm Totally Confussed Now

So I've been struggling with comming up for a design for my subs for about a month now. Everytime I think I've got it, I plug in the number and I'm off by a long shot. My goal is to try and build a box for 2 LvL 4 18's tuned between 30 - 36hz. So if I fall within any of those numbers within that range them I'm good to go. As some of you know I'm been posting everywhere as well as PM'ing a lot of you guys here for advise and what not. This lastest box that I did in sketchup is going to be the one that I'll more than like build for my truck. I just want to make sure my tuning is right. Now when I did the number today I came up with a tuning of 34.3hz, yet when I plug those number into Amatt85's Box Calc spread-sheet I get a tuning of 29.44hz. Now I'm confussed all over again.

calcresultsyi2.jpg

Now this box still falls under my external measurement of 24Height x 49Width x 26Dept, and I found out that the DC's take about 0.25f^3 of displacement.

Internal numbers are as follows: 21Height x 47.5Width x24.5Dept. Throw in the 1.5 divider board in the middle of the box and I get around 6.85f^3 of space. that's of course not factoring in all the other stuff. When I factor in the displacement of the subs ports and the pair of 45's that I'll use for the box I come up with a final number of 5.11f^3 per chamber. I then plug the following fomula into good ole google and I get Fb =0.159*sqrt(84(1.84*100000000) / (5.114*1728(30 + 0.823*sqrt(84)))) which comes out to 34.3hz.

So my question is, who'se right? Me with google's help, or Amatt85's Box Calc spreadsheet?

Take a look:

boxahf8.jpg

boxbsu4.jpg

boxcxw8.jpg

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

you need to put 49"in the width under (the box outer dimensions) also you need to change the (slot port dimension height) to 22.5" instead of 21" in Amatt85's box calc spreadsheet thats the things i see wrong.

the lvl 4 18's on dc site say cubes should be

suggested ported 5.75³ ft

suggested SPL ported 8³ ft

the box design looks good

Edited by jdmbb95

Any reason you are doing dual chamber/ dual port?

My reason was for some additial bracing besides just the double top and bottom boards and sub stibility. I've floated around with a common chamberd box as well. But right now I think this is more of what I'm gonna go with. Trust me, I've got at least two other threads on this same issue in SMD and multiply box designs floating around out there.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

you need to put 49"in the width under (the box outer dimensions) also you need to change the (slot port dimension height) to 22.5" instead of 21" in Amatt85's box calc spreadsheet thats the things i see wrong.

the lvl 4 18's on dc site say cubes should be

suggested ported 5.75³ ft

suggested SPL ported 8³ ft

the box design looks good

LOL...sorry about that. It was like 3 something in the morning when I posted the box calc picture. Here is another screen with all the correct number plotted in and still I'm showing 21.02Hz from Amatt's deal, while my own number show right at around 34Hz.

calcresultsaf5.jpg

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

with those dimensions, with my calc (it's similar to amatt's, but i got it from somewhere else) i also came up with 21 hz for tuning. BUT...if it's a separate chamber box, the length should not be the full length of the box. it should be for the chamber that you are tuning. so... change the length of the box to 24.5, and i come up with a tuning of 35.26 hz.

also...that gives each chamber 4.7 cubes of air after displacement

Edited by ExpoSport

with those dimensions, with my calc (it's similar to amatt's, but i got it from somewhere else) i also came up with 21 hz for tuning. BUT...if it's a separate chamber box, the length should not be the full length of the box. it should be for the chamber that you are tuning. so... change the length of the box to 24.5, and i come up with a tuning of 35.26 hz.

also...that gives each chamber 4.7 cubes of air after displacement

ExpoSport, how did you come up with 4.7 cubes of air space? My numbers are showing 5.1 with the 31 inch long port? I also redid the numbers again this time calcuation each chamber as appose to the whole enclosure and this is what I got this time:

57291549ml2.jpg

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

eh...each calculator is a little different. lemme punch in the numbers again really quick

EDIT: changed sub displacement from .4 to .2, everything else is the same. still came up with 34 hz, and 4.9 cubes of air. still pretty close. at least you're on the right track now compared to 21 hz tuning :P

Edited by ExpoSport