Second Skin Audio

Speaker Wire Gauge?

Ok so I'm going to pre wire my box terminals now and need to know what gauge will do for my specs.

It will be a 1 ohm total load on the amp, (two 4 ohm 10" DC lvl2's with voice coils parallel, as well as both of them parallel to the amp.) The amp will produce a 600 watt RMS load, so each speaker will receive 300 watts RMS.

I have some leftover 10 (I believe) gauge that I will run from the outside box terminal to the amp (a few inches) but my question is, will 16 gauge wire inside be sufficient? From the terminals they would each go to a speaker, (about 2-3 feet).

I know when distributing power wire, at the distribution you split from the heavy gauge to equal smaller gauge, does this apply for speaker wire as well? If so will this be correct for my setup?

I have the 16 on hand, so will it work in this configuration?

Thanks guys. :clapping:

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Shit, just noticed, this might be in the wrong forum.

Or idk, is it considered an subwoofer/enclosure question?

My bad guys.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLE12BL

$10.00 worth of this would be good... I really don't like 16 gauge for subs, it will probaly work, but it's only a few bucks to get better stuff..

That looks like some good stuff, but idk, if I have the 16 gauge already... It's RF so it's decent quality, I'm just wondering if it's going to be sufficient for the power.

Anyone else got some feedback?

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

12ga is good enough

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

sorry to thread jack, but didnt think a new thread needed to be started for this question: Would 12Ga be just fine for delivering 1100+RMS wattage to each of my BL's? Im needing to dump my 8ga speaker wire for thinner stuff.

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

It's 600watts... i wouldn't worry about running 16gauge.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

sorry to thread jack, but didnt think a new thread needed to be started for this question: Would 12Ga be just fine for delivering 1100+RMS wattage to each of my BL's? Im needing to dump my 8ga speaker wire for thinner stuff.

No worries man, I finally got a hold of some 12 gauge and already put it in my box so I got my question taken care of. :)

I'm not personally sure with that man. I've done 12 gauge for 1000 watt RMS installs, but i don't know where you draw the line and jump up with it.

Just to be safe I'd look for some 10 gauge dude.

You would think there's a chart for this? I know there's one for power wire, but nothing on speaker wire? Any idiot can tell you that you cant run 18 gauge with an amp pushing 2000 watts, (that's obvious) but I mean, where do you draw the line on this topic?

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

No worries man, I finally got a hold of some 12 gauge and already put it in my box so I got my question taken care of. :)

I'm not personally sure with that man. I've done 12 gauge for 1000 watt RMS installs, but i don't know where you draw the line and jump up with it.

Just to be safe I'd look for some 10 gauge dude.

You would think there's a chart for this? I know there's one for power wire, but nothing on speaker wire? Any idiot can tell you that you cant run 18 gauge with an amp pushing 2000 watts, (that's obvious) but I mean, where do you draw the line on this topic?

if you go into the "ELECTRICAL" section on here and look under "IMPORTANT TOPIC .......WIRE/FUSE guide" and you'll see the chart for the different size power wires and then you scroll down and you'll find the speaker wire sizes. so yes there is a chart for this.

Edited by dmanson

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module