Product: Alpine CDA-9887

Manufacture: Alpine

Purchased from: Ebay

Well I'm still learning stuff on this thing so I'll probly update this but I wanted to go ahead and post this.

This thing is awesome.

I give it a 10/10

I dont have an amp for my speakers and even with the internal amp in the HU everything sounds so crisp and clear.

The time alignment features are nice, great crossover setup, and nice eq's.

Would reccomend this to anyone looking for a quality head unit.

The crossover network in this thing is amazing too. Very flexible settings, and you can change the slope of each crossover.

And even at a $400 retail it's still not that bad for as good of a unit it is.

The search feature is amazing, scrolling through an mp3 cd has never been easier, i cant wait to try out the ipod cable.

There's my short review.

UPDATE:

got the time alignment setup, and damn what a difference.

night and day difference from not time aligned to time aligned.

that right there made it worth the money.

and even with an mp3 cd they sound damn close to cd quality (with quality mp3s of course, 128kbps and up)

NEW UPDATE:

after new subs, new amps, new speakers, this thing is still doing the job great. ive been messing with eq for a while and ive finally got it flattened out where i like it. and i finally got an ipod cable, and love the hell out of it, works with every ipod except one that ive plugged in.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Well I'm still learning stuff on this thing so I'll probly update this but I wanted to go ahead and post this.

This thing is awesome.

I give it a 10/10

I dont have an amp for my speakers and even with the internal amp in the HU everything sounds so crisp and clear.

The time alignment features are nice, great crossover setup, and nice eq's.

Would reccomend this to anyone looking for a quality head unit.

And even at a $400 retail it's still not that bad for as good of a unit it is.

The search feature is amazing, scrolling through an mp3 cd has never been easier, i cant wait to try out the ipod cable.

There's my short review.

yeh keep us updated. i wonder how does it compare to a regular cd player with just the regular auxilary plug for the ipod vs the ipod adapter.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

• 2 weeks later...

updated a little, and yea when i get an ipod adpater ill update again.

if i had the money id go ahead and order that beast but 1.49 in the checking account = "OH SHIT!"

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

keep it coming, I am looking at one of these.

are you running and seperate pre-amp? or is straight to the amps.

I'm trying to keep my Linear Pre-amp which would mean i can't use all the preouts.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

Glad to see you finally got this beast man!!!

i wonder how does it compare to a regular cd player with just the regular auxilary plug for the ipod vs the ipod adapter.

There is no comparison. I used to have a sony xplod headunit with aux-in and the thing is, with aux-in puts you are at the mercy of the ipod's headphone jack sound quality which is in my opinion HORRIBLE. They are made to be played through two speakers the size of your fingernail, and that's it.

With the high speed connection on any headunit I am almost certain that you are accessing the direct file itself in which the headunit works from. It's comparable to an mp3 data cd.

I actually need to get another ipod for my truck. I've got the cable already ran to the glove box, but the ipod I had was a POS and the connection was crap it would cut in and out. The bastard that sold it to me must have yanked the usb out of it a million times. Then my cousin decided to borrow it and I've yet to gotten it back... :(

I back this up and say that my experience with this head unit also rates a 10/10.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

I run this deck and love it. The ipod hook up works great with my itouch. Seamless integration is the best way to describe it. I can finds song or artists, playlists, albums , etc... prolly faster on the deck than I can the itouch . And to the OP, you should really give the imprint a try, if you dont like it you can turn it off.... It is realy the best thing about the 9887...

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I run this deck and love it. The ipod hook up works great with my itouch. Seamless integration is the best way to describe it. I can finds song or artists, playlists, albums , etc... prolly faster on the deck than I can the itouch . And to the OP, you should really give the imprint a try, if you dont like it you can turn it off.... It is realy the best thing about the 9887...

I'm thinking about going to finally getting my imprint done as soon as I replace all the stock speakers. However I'm also going to be adding an epicenter to my system, and I'm not sure if I should wait till after I put the epicenter in, or if it won't matter.

Any thoughts?

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

keep it coming, I am looking at one of these.

are you running and seperate pre-amp? or is straight to the amps.

I'm trying to keep my Linear Pre-amp which would mean i can't use all the preouts.

im just using the preouts straight to the amp no pre amp.

im using the internal amp for the speakers though, but this thing can be set up for an active 3 way setup instead of f/r/subs too, which is an amazing option.

Glad to see you finally got this beast man!!!

There is no comparison. I used to have a sony xplod headunit with aux-in and the thing is, with aux-in puts you are at the mercy of the ipod's headphone jack sound quality which is in my opinion HORRIBLE. They are made to be played through two speakers the size of your fingernail, and that's it.

With the high speed connection on any headunit I am almost certain that you are accessing the direct file itself in which the headunit works from. It's comparable to an mp3 data cd.

I actually need to get another ipod for my truck. I've got the cable already ran to the glove box, but the ipod I had was a POS and the connection was crap it would cut in and out. The bastard that sold it to me must have yanked the usb out of it a million times. Then my cousin decided to borrow it and I've yet to gotten it back... :(

I back this up and say that my experience with this head unit also rates a 10/10.

yea man ive had it for a while now but im lovin it.

yea i was gonna see if the shop up the road from here has an imprint so i could try it out.

even without doing the imprint ive dialed in the settings and got everything sounding pretty damn clear.

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters

Archived