Sundown Audio

2,200 Watts Rms For $105

Ben Building

Here's the end of the VFL 100.1.

It has 3 25 amp fuses. We all agree that the VFL makes at least 1500w RMS?

No, I entirely disagree. It has less parts inside it than other amps I have seen that were rated at 1200w or less. So unless AB are doing something magical (which they aren't, it's exactly the same design as almost every other Class D monoblock on the market)

Not to rag on your amps but they just don't make 1500wrms continuously

If so, where does all the electrical energy required come from? It's not a RF hybrid so it doesn't have an enormous bank of capacitors inside it thus the energy has to come from somewhere... through those 3 fuses on the end of the amp.

Even if those amps were 80 percent efficient at 1 ohm (which they're not) they would still need to pull 1875w of energy to output 1500w (It's probably closer to 2000w in reality)

1875w @ 14.4v = 130A...

a vfl 100.1 makes alot more than rated power man.

I'm sure that on the internet it does http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Of course you can add 10% overage for each one of those fuses ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Ive surfed many international trade websites for a few years, and you are so lucky if you find any companies that will sell you less than 10 pcs at a time, the norm is 100-200 pcs minimum, other wise shipping will be outrageous. I had some parts come in from china, I had to deny it, due to a 8lbs box costing $250 shipped from China- Korea is no different

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Ive surfed many international trade websites for a few years, and you are so lucky if you find any companies that will sell you less than 10 pcs at a time, the norm is 100-200 pcs minimum, other wise shipping will be outrageous. I had some parts come in from china, I had to deny it, due to a 8lbs box costing $250 shipped from China- Korea is no different

They agreed to let me do a "sample" order of five peices. They have those same amp guts available in four different heatsinks. They'll even silkscreen your company :) logo onto them for you, so yeah, you're right about having to buy a lot of them. I'm only interested in beating a couple of 18s to death and if I can pay $420, all the better, right?

Actually, I would like to get the sample 5 amps and test one or two on the bench to see what kind of numbers they put out next to recognized amps. Since I happen to have 2 different American Bass VFL 100.1s available right now, we might as well use them as a comparison amp. After all, the 100.1 (a STRONG little amp) is fused at 75 amps and Amp X is fused at 80 amps. I think the VFL will crush it, but that's what the numbers are for....

In any case, having to test and average amplifer output should be a good learning experience even if Amp X turns out to be Amp S.

What do you guys think?

They agreed to let me do a "sample" order of five peices. They have those same amp guts available in four different heatsinks. They'll even silkscreen your company :) logo onto them for you, so yeah, you're right about having to buy a lot of them. I'm only interested in beating a couple of 18s to death and if I can pay $420, all the better, right?

Actually, I would like to get the sample 5 amps and test one or two on the bench to see what kind of numbers they put out next to recognized amps. Since I happen to have 2 different American Bass VFL 100.1s available right now, we might as well use them as a comparison amp. After all, the 100.1 (a STRONG little amp) is fused at 75 amps and Amp X is fused at 80 amps. I think the VFL will crush it, but that's what the numbers are for....

In any case, having to test and average amplifer output should be a good learning experience even if Amp X turns out to be Amp S.

What do you guys think?

after shipping charges they wont cost 105 each anymore, have you ever shipped anything form Asia? im guessing not, its outrageous.

No, I entirely disagree. It has less parts inside it than other amps I have seen that were rated at 1200w or less. So unless AB are doing something magical (which they aren't, it's exactly the same design as almost every other Class D monoblock on the market)

Not to rag on your amps but they just don't make 1500wrms continuously

If so, where does all the electrical energy required come from? It's not a RF hybrid so it doesn't have an enormous bank of capacitors inside it thus the energy has to come from somewhere... through those 3 fuses on the end of the amp.

Even if those amps were 80 percent efficient at 1 ohm (which they're not) they would still need to pull 1875w of energy to output 1500w (It's probably closer to 2000w in reality)

1875w @ 14.4v = 130A...

I'm sure that on the internet it does :01nocomment8so:

no just on my own personal testin results they do. that and the fact a very close friend of mine has a 100.1 pushing 2 audiopulse 12's.

----reference's----

meade916

Yeah, after shipping your back up to a cost of... hmmm, a Hellfire 1000 ;-)

But ordering OEM does have its benefits, as in your own logo, going blank, your own heat sink, ect

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Power= Voltage x Current, can't argue with that. But, somehow some amps (the AB VFL 100.1, for example) seem to make more power than their fuse size would suggest. Could the reason pertain to the fact that we're not asking these amps to produce direct current for any length of time? I mean, a bass note is a series of vibrations where that amp is asked to move the sub "back and forth" and not forth, forth, forth.... That tiny space between vibrations gives the amp's capacitors to charge to a relatively higher level, and as we all know, capacitors can produce lots of current very fast.

My American Bass VFL 100.1s aren't even rated to draw 80 amps, and I KNOW they make more than 1000w RMS. Check this: http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/American_Bass_VFL_100.1/

Lol ROE is wrong, and so are you I guess if your running 3 25 amp fuses.

Most the time orange color atc fuses are 40 amps each, greens are 30 amp, white/clear is 25 amp, yellow is 20 amp, red is 10 amp.

The amps are rated at 120 amps, and will do well over 1000 wrms daily at 1 ohm, 12.5 volts, and are rated for 1500rms @ 1ohm at 12.5 volts.

Amps are rated per usac rules, put them on a solid electrical system the will out perform their rated rms power and be less stressfull on the amp.

Edit for amp specs from american bass: http://www.americanbassusa.com/front/showc...aspx?fileid=181

Archived