Completely frustrated, install going nowhere!

I'm really confused about this.... I think I'm not thinking the right way about it maybe.

what I have in mind is like a shell, that would have a hollow space under the amp, not an entirely glassed enclosure/box.... thats not quite right huh.

I'm sort of starting over now, I'm making a couple of nice amp trays for the amps to sit in. Once my trays are done, what do I do? they won't sit in the trunk in anyway that will let me glue sticks on it to hover it..... I have to hold it. I've also cut some better bases, which I made simply to have something to work with in my apt.... I can't do this stuff down in the parking lot.

The base isn't intended as a permanent part of it, but what I was thinking is that I would stretch fabric right to the car/body(securing it to the car itself somehow) then making a shell from that, once hard, I would remove the framework inside, and the tray would be a permanent part of the large shell.

So let me get this straight, I'm gonna tape/foil/whatever the area where I want the racks, then, I'm going to make a "mold" of that area with resin/glass.

at that point, I would remove this "base shell" and float my tray on it, stretch fabric over that, and finish making the shell?

How would I get into it to run wires? I would like this to be removable if I ever had the need to remove it.

I'm so confused with this.....but I would guess starting with the trays is the right place?

You could do it that way also, A beauty panel. I could probably figure out how to make one but have never made one myself. I would probably make a wooden frame anywhere I could and use a contour gauge to make a wooden frame to follow the curves around the wheel well. Float the tray like you have already but cover that in foil instead. Stretch fabric over the tray covered in foil while its in the trunk and attach it to the frame with glue or staples. Glass it in the trunk and then pull it out and finish it. Trim out the hole where the amp sits any way you want it to look.

I'm really confused about this.... I think I'm not thinking the right way about it maybe.

what I have in mind is like a shell, that would have a hollow space under the amp, not an entirely glassed enclosure/box.... thats not quite right huh.

I'm sort of starting over now, I'm making a couple of nice amp trays for the amps to sit in. Once my trays are done, what do I do? they won't sit in the trunk in anyway that will let me glue sticks on it to hover it..... I have to hold it. I've also cut some better bases, which I made simply to have something to work with in my apt.... I can't do this stuff down in the parking lot.

The base isn't intended as a permanent part of it, but what I was thinking is that I would stretch fabric right to the car/body(securing it to the car itself somehow) then making a shell from that, once hard, I would remove the framework inside, and the tray would be a permanent part of the large shell.

So let me get this straight, I'm gonna tape/foil/whatever the area where I want the racks, then, I'm going to make a "mold" of that area with resin/glass.

at that point, I would remove this "base shell" and float my tray on it, stretch fabric over that, and finish making the shell?

How would I get into it to run wires? I would like this to be removable if I ever had the need to remove it.

I'm so confused with this.....but I would guess starting with the trays is the right place?

your thinking too much about it man...you have it right, i think your just nervous on doing it....what your saying in this last post is right. as for runnin wires, it doesnt really matter on how you do it...just as long as none of them are pinched. you could technically just cut a hole in the back of the shell and run them through there. your first pieces looked fine.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

i havent read through this whole thread, but where i believe your stuck is how to get the base of the amp rack? and how to make the shape of it with the fleece? look at these pics. they're for my center console i'm workin on, but the process is pretty much the exact same. i madke the base, molded to the floor of the car between the seats to get an EXACT fit. then i put some supports to fit the storage compartment on top.

Posted Image

taped it off (i didnt bother with foil)

Posted Image

glassed the mold

Posted Image

popped it off and trimmed the edges and cleaned what tape off i could

Posted Image

text fit. fits perfectly

i made supports (which you cant really see in the pics i've taken) then i set wood on top of that for support. and wrapped the open gaps around in in fleece. then glassed over it. i also did the same for my volt meter, buttons, and cup holder. made the frames (some call them skeletons) for everything, then wrapped it in fleece to get the shape i wanted. but that may be a lil harder to see trying to compare it to an amp rack. plus i dont have any updated pics of it really. but i could take some if you really wanted to see a visual. different projects, same processes

those things are huge to just try and do speaker grill cloth on. i thin you need more wood on them thangs. you can do that with something small, but if you do those the way they sit. its gonna be alot of work getting them things stiff speaker grill cloth is supe rthin, fleece blanket sucks working with. either way its gonna take alot of material. i would suggest some kitty hair on the inside to help it out, also you can experiment with glass/ bondo mix, that what me and my boy do works great.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

your thinking too much about it man...you have it right, i think your just nervous on doing it....what your saying in this last post is right. as for runnin wires, it doesnt really matter on how you do it...just as long as none of them are pinched. you could technically just cut a hole in the back of the shell and run them through there. your first pieces looked fine.

They may have looked fine, but once I test fitted them with the speaker boxes, they wouldn't fit. I had to angle them the other way, and I will need to cut my boxes down a bit, but I had planned on doing that anyway.

those things are huge to just try and do speaker grill cloth on. i thin you need more wood on them thangs. you can do that with something small, but if you do those the way they sit. its gonna be alot of work getting them things stiff speaker grill cloth is supe rthin, fleece blanket sucks working with. either way its gonna take alot of material. i would suggest some kitty hair on the inside to help it out, also you can experiment with glass/ bondo mix, that what me and my boy do works great.

Whats huge?

The wooden base I have now is just so that I have two level flat surfaces to work with while placing the trays...this ensures they have the same measurements, and are sitting at the same height in the car.

OK, so, I'll tape off the area. Make a mold of that area, this will be the base. stick my skeleton on that base, cover with fabric, and finish the "enclosure"?

I see what you mean with the base of your console and such, but the trunk area is covered with sound deadener, and rubber junk. Not to mention the big gaps and spaces.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but I've NEVER done ANYTHING like this before, I know nobody, and there isn't anyone who can show me around here.... my biggest problem is this reading thing, I really learn by seeing/doing, I've been reading about this all damn day but if I can't put it together in my head I can't do it without spending a LOT of money time and effort going trial and error.

ha yeah man you got the idea, and for the sound deadner and foam, etc its all good, just tape over it. ya dont gotto mess with takin it out(unless you really wanna).

They may have looked fine, but once I test fitted them with the speaker boxes, they wouldn't fit. I had to angle them the other way, and I will need to cut my boxes down a bit, but I had planned on doing that anyway.

Whats huge?

The wooden base I have now is just so that I have two level flat surfaces to work with while placing the trays...this ensures they have the same measurements, and are sitting at the same height in the car.

OK, so, I'll tape off the area. Make a mold of that area, this will be the base. stick my skeleton on that base, cover with fabric, and finish the "enclosure"?

I see what you mean with the base of your console and such, but the trunk area is covered with sound deadener, and rubber junk. Not to mention the big gaps and spaces.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but I've NEVER done ANYTHING like this before, I know nobody, and there isn't anyone who can show me around here.... my biggest problem is this reading thing, I really learn by seeing/doing, I've been reading about this all damn day but if I can't put it together in my head I can't do it without spending a LOT of money time and effort going trial and error.

I believe B is talkin about how large the amp inserts are.... the rack to fit the amps is big so he is suggesting more wood for support (the skeleton). and dont worry about holes, sound deadening and such, just tape over it....anything that will remain in the car after the rack is finished and installed should just be taped over....

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

hey, I am from st thomas.... I have worked with 'glass quite a bit, and have done a few full trunk installs, hit me up if you would like me to take a look at it and offer some help or suggestions...... [email protected] feel free to add me to MSN or just send me an e-mail... I can show you some pics too, sometimes that helps to make things more clear....

Archived