Second Skin Audio

2 options

Which sub  

51 members have voted

1. 1. which would you choose

• soundstream XXX 18
    • DD 9518

If I had the money I'd get the soundstreams to try them out and because they have the 4" coil. With that power (after 2nd amp) you'll need probably need it, but I don't know how good they'll sound. If you want a sure bet go with the dd but if you want something a lil different go with the soundstreams. I voted ss

edit: cuz I still cant type

Can you tell me why a 4inch coil is better then a 3inch coil? Id really like to know this. Besides all the weight of the extra mass which is making the woofer need more power to get louder.

In all honestly if a 4 inch coil is so good, why dont DD use them? Even on their 9500Z and their Z series subs they are only running 3 inch coils. The Z series sub is what Dante runs that hold well over 180db with a 3 inch coil.

Not trying to start an arguement here, just looking for your reasoning behind the 4 inch coils.

maby here? http://www.woofersetc.com/p7740/XXX18--Sou...X-Subwoofer.htm

or maby try to run these n see how they like that 7k http://www.woofersetc.com/p5899/HCCA-154--...m-Subwoofer.htm

ive yet to see a hcca on real power or full rms in a setup, i seen some guy run 6 of those n it get loud as shit in a wall, i myself want to run these sometime later on

n are u stuck on size? n have u ran 4 15's yet? ied run 4 lvl 5 15's or 6 lvl 4 15's?

are u tryin to top what uve done so far with this setup? and what kinda budget?

If logan was local to me, Id have no problem selling him 2 dd9518G's for the price of that 1 18 inch soundstream. Im only saying this because besides db numbers Im assuming price is a concern since he listed it as one of his reasons he doesnt want to wait for a level 6.

He also said 18s, Orion only sells up to 15s. They are straight subs, I deal in bother Orion and DD, and Id take a dd3500, a fi bl, or even a level 4xl over a hcca anyday of the week. Also Just heard the Orion demo truck with 4 15 hcca's and 4 of the 2008 hcca5000 amps (10,000wrms on sub power), and it wasnt to impressive, tho it was loud, but the subs distorted a lil bit. Maybe the average person wouldnt notice that tho.

and just a little quick edit..

I got vids on youtube and myspace of me totally being abusive on dd subs, weather it be free airing it on my table, or even putting it on a wallsocket for a constant 10 plus minutes. then building a box for it months later, and pulling off a 146.7db with a tinny 1500watts with torn spiders

well the level 5 subs you have now will handle more power than the DD 95. The SS woofer wasnt meant for sound quality, it has a very stiff suspension which raises the Fs of the woofer considerably which makes it less suitable for "good" sounding bass.

Both subs will get stupid loud. The SS woofer will handle more power, the DD will sound better. I iwould keep what you have and maybe do a rebuild, no need to spend money if it wont be a real upgrade

they fs on the new ss xx 18s are 22 hz so maybe your talking about the older ones with the high roll

Roseville, CA

For all you DC audio guys out there saying Level 5s and what not, Id hope the lvl 6 will have a beefier looking coil.

This is a pic from CACO Matt aka bumpin buick.

He posted this on our db drag site.

These are dual 1 ohm level 5 coils.

Posted Image

Here is a DD coil from my 9500D that I abused to hell by free-airing, jumping magnet gap, over 10 minutes on a wallsocket, and still played.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are just for comparison purposes in size only.

Not trying to threadjack logan but Can anyone say what kinda prices the dd subs have on them I have emailed the company a few times in the past just outta curiosity and never hear anything back ever. Another reason I kinda don't care much for them because nobody at that company hasever saw fit to get back with me on anything. If anyone can give me some info you can shoot me a pm if you'd rather do that. Like I said just wondering and researching for a future system.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

Why is it that they don't answer their email?

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

because they are very busy for the most part, and they get all kinds of stupid emails with people asking for competitor rates and what not...

If your a serious buyer with intentions to buy you would call them, or use their site to find your nearest dealer.

not saying your emails are that of asking for cheap prices or free stuff.

Archived